Terror funding case in 2005 blasts in last stage
New Delhi: As investigators probe to crack
recent incidents of bomb blasts, the case of funding of the
October 2005 blasts that occurred in crowded markets of Delhi
has reached prosecution stage, making it one of the first
cases of conviction for terror financing in the country.
The main accused in the case, Tarique Ahmed Dar, is
presently lodged in the high-security Tihar jail here after he
was caught and probed by the Special Cell of Delhi Police and
the Enforcement Directorate (ED) for masterminding and funding
the blasts which occurred on the eve of Diwali in 2005 at
prime markets like Sarojini Nagar and Paharganj.
Investigators privy to the probe said the case has
recently been listed at the special Prevention of Money
Laundering (PMLA) court at Karkardooma and Dar may be
sentenced to three-seven years` rigorous imprisonment for
"conducting bomb blast and waging war against the nation" and
committing the "crime of money laundering".
The case could well become the first important conviction
case of terror financing in the country, official sources
The blast killed 67 people and injured more than 200.
The Adjudicating Authority for PMLA had in 2009 attached
Dar`s four bank accounts which had a cumulative balance of
slightly under Rs six lakh as "proceeds of crime" under the
stringent provisions of the Anti-Money Laundering Act.
Dar, according to the ED charge sheet of 2009, had
received close to Rs five lakh from Dubai just two days prior
to the blasts.
The explosions took place during the peak evening hours
on October 29, 2005.
The ED charge sheet said that "Dar was the main person
behind these blasts and was regularly in contact with Abu Al
Kama, operative of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
"For initiating and organising the bomb blasts, Dar and
the others received huge amounts of money from persons
The Directorate also stumbled upon illegal transfers of
funds to Dar`s accounts in a circuitous way through certain
Hawala operators based in Delhi`s Chandni Chowk area.
The ED probe found that Dar received illegal funds used
for financing terrorist activities through "telegraphic
transfers" in his bank accounts in Jammu and Kashmir.
"...the money deposited in his bank accounts was not his
legally earned money but was received for the nefarious
purposes of conducting bomb blast and for waging war against
the nation," the ED attachment order had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly