Thick fog envelopes Delhi, flight operations disrupted
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Delhi was enveloped by the first fog of the winter season on Monday morning with visibility dropping to around 400 metres at 8.30 am.
The India Meteorological Department has, however, forecast a clear day ahead in the capital. The city`s minimum temperature settled at 8.8 degrees Celsius - average for this time of the year. Humidity at 8:30 am was 100 percent.
A few trains coming to Delhi were running behind schedule, slowed down by dense fog.
"No trains have been cancelled so far, but a few coming to Delhi and going further from here are now running behind schedule," a spokesperson for Northern Railway said.
The weather also delayed the schedule of over 25 domestic and international flights at the IGI Airport here.
According to an update from airport officials at 12 noon, nine flights with destinations to Jaipur, Ahmedabad and Lucknow were diverted.
The flights were delayed as the runway visibility dropped to less than 50 metres, bringing landing and take-off to a halt for over an hour, an airport official said.
This is the first fog of the winter season, which started to descend at the airport early in the morning, but as the day progressed it become dense.
Flights scheduled to land at Delhi airport were asked to hover after the runway visibility dropped to less than 50 metres, the minimum visibility range for a CAT III B complaint aircraft to land in the poor visibility conditions.
Around 10 planes, coming to Delhi where asked to hover, while one of the international flight from Amman was diverted, airport sources said.
As the visibility increased to 75 metres on the main runway (28/11), some of the CAT-III B complaint aircraft were allowed to land but no flights were departing.
The general visibility at the three runways were around 150 metres while the runway visibility was between 65 to 75 metres on all off them.
The two runways of IGI airport are CAT-III B complaint, which means if the runway visibility is upto metres, flights can land.
But for take-off, the minimum visibility is around 125 metres and 150 metres, depending upon the size of the aircraft.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'