Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in Delhi
New Delhi: It began as a routine prosecution for a traffic violation in the national capital on Monday but ended up with the arrest of an auto thief, caught while trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle.
"Head constable Budhpal noticed a motorcyclist without helmet jumping a red light at Azadpur crossing on Monday morning. Brief chase got him more than a traffic rule violator: a vehicle thief," posted Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), on the force`s Facebook page that has over 100,000 followers.
"The motorcycle was stolen on Monday morning. Preliminary information shows the thief had spent a year in jail," he added.
The officer said the head constable would be "rewarded handsomely" as the police would look into "the details of the thief and his previous involvements."
Delhi Police`s chase and challan squad was set up in 2008 for swift prosecution of errant drivers. The squad fined 15,39,501 people in 2011, while the figure in 2010 was 10,74,865.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan