Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in Delhi
New Delhi: It began as a routine prosecution for a traffic violation in the national capital on Monday but ended up with the arrest of an auto thief, caught while trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle.
"Head constable Budhpal noticed a motorcyclist without helmet jumping a red light at Azadpur crossing on Monday morning. Brief chase got him more than a traffic rule violator: a vehicle thief," posted Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), on the force`s Facebook page that has over 100,000 followers.
"The motorcycle was stolen on Monday morning. Preliminary information shows the thief had spent a year in jail," he added.
The officer said the head constable would be "rewarded handsomely" as the police would look into "the details of the thief and his previous involvements."
Delhi Police`s chase and challan squad was set up in 2008 for swift prosecution of errant drivers. The squad fined 15,39,501 people in 2011, while the figure in 2010 was 10,74,865.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media