Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in Delhi
New Delhi: It began as a routine prosecution for a traffic violation in the national capital on Monday but ended up with the arrest of an auto thief, caught while trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle.
"Head constable Budhpal noticed a motorcyclist without helmet jumping a red light at Azadpur crossing on Monday morning. Brief chase got him more than a traffic rule violator: a vehicle thief," posted Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), on the force`s Facebook page that has over 100,000 followers.
"The motorcycle was stolen on Monday morning. Preliminary information shows the thief had spent a year in jail," he added.
The officer said the head constable would be "rewarded handsomely" as the police would look into "the details of the thief and his previous involvements."
Delhi Police`s chase and challan squad was set up in 2008 for swift prosecution of errant drivers. The squad fined 15,39,501 people in 2011, while the figure in 2010 was 10,74,865.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'