Thief caught after jumping traffic signal in Delhi
New Delhi: It began as a routine prosecution for a traffic violation in the national capital on Monday but ended up with the arrest of an auto thief, caught while trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle.
"Head constable Budhpal noticed a motorcyclist without helmet jumping a red light at Azadpur crossing on Monday morning. Brief chase got him more than a traffic rule violator: a vehicle thief," posted Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), on the force`s Facebook page that has over 100,000 followers.
"The motorcycle was stolen on Monday morning. Preliminary information shows the thief had spent a year in jail," he added.
The officer said the head constable would be "rewarded handsomely" as the police would look into "the details of the thief and his previous involvements."
Delhi Police`s chase and challan squad was set up in 2008 for swift prosecution of errant drivers. The squad fined 15,39,501 people in 2011, while the figure in 2010 was 10,74,865.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth