Third suicide in Tihar Jail in last 15 months
New Delhi: Delhi gang-rape accused Ram Singh`s alleged suicide in the high security Tihar jail, which houses over 12,000 prisoners, is the third such incident in the last 15 months.
Singh, the prime accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl here, hanged himself from the grill of his cell in Jail No 3 using his clothes early this morning, jail officials said.
The jail had reported a total of 18 deaths including two suicides in 2012.
"There have been 18 deaths in Tihar jail in 2012 out of which 16 were natural while two were cases of suicide," said Vimla Mehra, Director General (Prisons), addressing a press conference recently.
A senior jail official said Singh`s suicide is the first such incident this year while another inmate had died due to natural causes.
He said magisterial inquiries are conducted into every death that takes place inside the jail premises.
Considered India`s largest and most secure prison, Tihar has a three-layered security system.
Surveillance and external security is with the personnel of ITBP and CRPF followed by Tamil Nadu Special Police which man various gates and frisk visitors.
Jail operations are taken care of by personnel of Delhi Prisons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!