Third suicide in Tihar Jail in last 15 months
New Delhi: Delhi gang-rape accused Ram Singh`s alleged suicide in the high security Tihar jail, which houses over 12,000 prisoners, is the third such incident in the last 15 months.
Singh, the prime accused in the December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl here, hanged himself from the grill of his cell in Jail No 3 using his clothes early this morning, jail officials said.
The jail had reported a total of 18 deaths including two suicides in 2012.
"There have been 18 deaths in Tihar jail in 2012 out of which 16 were natural while two were cases of suicide," said Vimla Mehra, Director General (Prisons), addressing a press conference recently.
A senior jail official said Singh`s suicide is the first such incident this year while another inmate had died due to natural causes.
He said magisterial inquiries are conducted into every death that takes place inside the jail premises.
Considered India`s largest and most secure prison, Tihar has a three-layered security system.
Surveillance and external security is with the personnel of ITBP and CRPF followed by Tamil Nadu Special Police which man various gates and frisk visitors.
Jail operations are taken care of by personnel of Delhi Prisons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video