Thomas may quit ahead of Supreme Court hearing
New Delhi: Central Vigilance Commissioner P J
Thomas is likely to step down from the post ahead of a Supreme
Court hearing on Monday over his controversial appointment.
Thomas, who faces stringing observation from the apex
court on his capacity to oversee CBI investigations in the 2G
spectrum allocation scam in view of his name figuring in a
criminal case, remained away from his office on Friday.
Sources said that it was only a question of time before
he sends his resignation -- may be as early as tomorrow -- to
President Pratibha Patil, who was his appointing authority.
Though the CVC has been maintaining that there was no
corruption charge against him and his conscience was clear,
the sources said that he may put in his papers to avoid
embarrassment to the government when the issue figures
in the apex court.
Thomas` name figures in a chargesheet related to the
alleged scam of importing Palmolein in Kerala in 1991 and the
Supreme Court questioned how he would function in as CVC in
view of a pending criminal case against him.
60-year-old Thomas, who was Telecom Secretary till
recently, was appointed to the CVC`s post by a three-member
panel headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. But the Leader
of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj gave a
dissenting note when the Committee selected him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video