Three accused in 2012 Delhi gang-rape identified by cop
New Delhi: Three accused in the December 16 gang-rape case were on Friday identified in a special court here by the lady police officer, the prime witness, who had arrested them hours after the heinous crime.
The investigating officer (IO), the last and the crucial prosecution witness in the case, began her deposition before the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna by correctly identifying Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh who were arrested by her.
Ram Singh, who was found hanging in his cell in Tihar jail, was the first to be arrested, she said adding he tried to run away from the bus but was overpowered by the police team. The trial against him has been abated rpt abated following his death.
The fourth accused in the case Akshay Thakur was arrested from Aurangabad in Bihar.
"All the accused are present in the court room except Ram Singh (since deceased) and a juvenile facing trial before the Juvenile Justice Board," she said on being asked by the prosecutor whether the accused persons were present in the court room.
She pointedly identified the three by their names and also told the judge that soon after the incident she had on December 17 morning apprehended main accused Ram Singh from the bus itself.
"...As we reached near the bus, one person got down from the bus, he was apprehended by us (IO and her team member). In the process, he tried to run but was overpowered. He disclosed his name as Ram Singh," she said.
She further told the court that Ram Singh had himself "pointed towards the bus by saying that it was the vehicle in which the offence was committed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chase master Kohli stars as India beat Kiwis by 7 wickets, lead series 2-1
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption