Three accused in 2012 Delhi gang-rape identified by cop
New Delhi: Three accused in the December 16 gang-rape case were on Friday identified in a special court here by the lady police officer, the prime witness, who had arrested them hours after the heinous crime.
The investigating officer (IO), the last and the crucial prosecution witness in the case, began her deposition before the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna by correctly identifying Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh who were arrested by her.
Ram Singh, who was found hanging in his cell in Tihar jail, was the first to be arrested, she said adding he tried to run away from the bus but was overpowered by the police team. The trial against him has been abated rpt abated following his death.
The fourth accused in the case Akshay Thakur was arrested from Aurangabad in Bihar.
"All the accused are present in the court room except Ram Singh (since deceased) and a juvenile facing trial before the Juvenile Justice Board," she said on being asked by the prosecutor whether the accused persons were present in the court room.
She pointedly identified the three by their names and also told the judge that soon after the incident she had on December 17 morning apprehended main accused Ram Singh from the bus itself.
"...As we reached near the bus, one person got down from the bus, he was apprehended by us (IO and her team member). In the process, he tried to run but was overpowered. He disclosed his name as Ram Singh," she said.
She further told the court that Ram Singh had himself "pointed towards the bus by saying that it was the vehicle in which the offence was committed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened