Three Tihar inmates appear in civil services exam
New Delhi: Among the thousands of civil services aspirants are three inmates of Tihar Prisons, including a murder convict and an IITian, who appeared in the examination this time.
Siddharth Singh Sidar from Chhattisgarh, who is undergoing imprisonment for cheating and once trained IAS aspirants, Amit Jha from Bihar who was held for kidnapping and Sandeep from Uttar Pradesh, serving life imprisonment in a murder case, undertook the civil services preliminary examinations held here last Sunday.
Sidar, an IITian from Kharagpur, and Jha both came to Delhi to prepare for civil services before they were jailed.
All three are lodged inside Jail No 3 of the Tihar Prison.
"Three inmates of my jail have appeared for the civil services preliminary examinations on June 12. Two are undertrials and one is a convict. It is the for the first time in the history of Tihar Prisons that three inmates are competing for the examination. If they qualify they will get a call for the Mains," MK Diwedi, jail superintendent, Jail No
"We are hopeful that at least two of them will make it to the Mains," he said.
The results are expected to be out in about 45 days. In 2009, a convict in a rape case had appeared for the civil services examination for the first time and was set free by the court after he qualified.
"Six inmates, lodged inside Jail No 3, were toiling it day and night to qualify for the Indian Administrative Services exams even though they are not certain about their release," Sunil Gupta, spokesperson, Tihar Prisons said.
"Unfortunately only three of them could make it to the examination hall. Of the remaining three, one was released two months back, the other was not permitted by the court and the third one had not prepared enough," Gupta said.
With no coaching centres at their disposal, they were relying on self study and turned to Sidar, who once trained IAS aspirants.
Sidar quit his job and came to Delhi to prepare for the IAS exams. He used to run tutorial classes in Mukherjee Nagar area for IIT aspirants before he got entangled in a cheating case.
Jha too came to Delhi to prepare for the civil services examination. However, he unfortunately was held in kidnapping charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday