Three youths jailed for 10 years for raping girl
New Delhi: Three youths have been sentenced to ten years rigorous imprisonment by a Delhi court for gangraping a 19-year-old girl at knife point.
District judge PS Teji sentenced East Delhi residents Nesar (20), Sunny (22) and Mukesh (20) after convicting them for raping the girl in a slum while she was on her way back to home from work.
"In the view of facts and circumstances of the case, all
the convicts are hereby awarded rigorous imprisonment for a
period of 10 years and fine of Rs 5,000 each for the offence
punishable under Section 376(2)(g) IPC (punishment for gang
rape)," the judge said.
Police had lodged the FIR in the case on October 25, 2009
on the victim`s compliant.
She told police she worked as a maid-servant and on the
fateful night of October 24, 2009, she was returning home in
Kalyanpuri jhuggis from work at about 9 pm when she was
accosted by the trio, who were known to her.
She said they caught hold of her and took her into a nearby jhuggi and raped her one after one at knife point. During trial, the accused took a plea that they were
being falsely implicated for taking revenge as they had a fight with a friend of the girl.
The judge, however, preferred to believe the victim`s
statement saying that in Indian society, "any girl would not
make such allegations as she is aware of the repercussions."
"If she is found to be false, she would be looked by the
society with contempt throughout her life. For an unmarried
girl, it will be difficult to find a suitable groom.
"Therefore, unless an offence has really been committed,
the girl or woman would be extremely reluctant even to admit
any such incident had taken place which is likely to reflect
on her chastity," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row