Three youths jailed for 10 years for raping girl
New Delhi: Three youths have been sentenced to ten years rigorous imprisonment by a Delhi court for gangraping a 19-year-old girl at knife point.
District judge PS Teji sentenced East Delhi residents Nesar (20), Sunny (22) and Mukesh (20) after convicting them for raping the girl in a slum while she was on her way back to home from work.
"In the view of facts and circumstances of the case, all
the convicts are hereby awarded rigorous imprisonment for a
period of 10 years and fine of Rs 5,000 each for the offence
punishable under Section 376(2)(g) IPC (punishment for gang
rape)," the judge said.
Police had lodged the FIR in the case on October 25, 2009
on the victim`s compliant.
She told police she worked as a maid-servant and on the
fateful night of October 24, 2009, she was returning home in
Kalyanpuri jhuggis from work at about 9 pm when she was
accosted by the trio, who were known to her.
She said they caught hold of her and took her into a nearby jhuggi and raped her one after one at knife point. During trial, the accused took a plea that they were
being falsely implicated for taking revenge as they had a fight with a friend of the girl.
The judge, however, preferred to believe the victim`s
statement saying that in Indian society, "any girl would not
make such allegations as she is aware of the repercussions."
"If she is found to be false, she would be looked by the
society with contempt throughout her life. For an unmarried
girl, it will be difficult to find a suitable groom.
"Therefore, unless an offence has really been committed,
the girl or woman would be extremely reluctant even to admit
any such incident had taken place which is likely to reflect
on her chastity," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre