Tihar: 2nd round of campus recruitment interviews
New Delhi: Buoyed by the success of the first
recruitment drive inside the prison premises in February, in
which 43 inmates were hired by different companies, Tihar jail
authorities on Wednesday conducted the second round of campus
"We are conducting the second campus interview of our
next batch of eligible inmates. Nine companies have agreed to
absorb some of our inmates when they get released from the
jail. They include Haldiram, Vedanta Group, GI pipes, Rado
Security and Sibra amongst others. 80 professionally qualified
inmates will face the campus interview," Sunil Gupta,
spokesperson, Tihar Prisons said.
Ten companies have recently absorbed some of the convicts
and selected them for senior positions in the offices. Some of
the inmates have been hired for a pay package of Rs five to
six lakh annually.
"After the news of the first successful recruitment drive
spread to different parts of the city, many companies had
approached us expressing their desire to hire our inmates.
This encouraged us to take another plunge," Gupta said.
Director General (DG) Tihar Prisons Neeraj Kumar said that
the campus selection was the brain child of jail
superintendent No 3, M K Dwivedi.
"I saw that very less number of convicts took interest in
enrolling in the courses offered by IGNOU. According to them,
it would be a futile exercise to study, as it would not help
them get a job. I decided that I would not allow their
education go waste and started talking to different companies
for hiring them. It took time but then we achieved success
this year finally," Dwivedi said.
The jail authorities decided to go for the placement
drive after they realised that even after reforming prisoners
and making them professionally qualified, they do not get a
job after being released, due to their criminal background, he
Big names that had hired some of the inmates in the first
recruitment drive included Agarwal Packers, Jindal Steel and
Flex shoes amongst others, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir