Tihar authorities assures protection to life of IM suspect
New Delhi: Tihar Jail authorities on Wednesday
assured a Delhi court that a suspected Indian Mujahideen
terrorist who apprehended threat to his life inside the prison
was being given full protection.
In a report submitted to the court of Chief Metropolitan
Magistrate Kaveri Baweja, the jail authorities said that
Salman was kept in a jail meant for the undertrials between 18
and 21 years of age.
They also claimed strict vigil was being mounted to
ensure protection to his life.
Salman, arrested in the cases relating to serial blasts
in Delhi on September 13, 2008, was also asked to keep
the jail officials informed about any threat, they said.
The submissions by the Tihar jail authorities came in
response to an application filed by Salman on April nine
alleging that he received extortion threat inside the prison
from a gang which earned notoriety for attacking fellow
inmates with blades.
The court, which was to record the statement of witnesses
with regard to Salman`s plea claiming himself to be a minor at
the time of the blasts, adjourned the matter for April 24.
Salman was arrested on March six by Anti-Terrorism Squad
of Uttar Pradesh Police from Siddarth Nagar for his alleged
role in the serial blasts in the national capital on September
He had produced a class X marksheet issued by the Uttar
Pradesh Secondary Education Board stating his date of birth as
October three, 1992.
The police, however, had claimed there were contradictory
reports with regard to his date of birth as the passport
obtained by him on forged documents from Nepal showed it to be
May 27, 1985.
The AIIMS, which was directed to constitute a medical
board, had opined that his age was between 25 and 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal