Tihar DG assures Delhi HC, cellphones of inmates will be seized
New Delhi: The Tihar jail authorities
on Tuesday assured the Delhi High Court that all cellphones from
inmates would be confiscated.
Appearing before a Division Bench of Chief Justice
Dipak Misra and Justice Madan B Lokur, Director General
(Prisons) B K Gupta assured the court that appropriate steps
would be taken within three days.
Gupta also told the Bench that no visitor would be
allowed to carry a cellphone during meeting hours with the
"All cellphones shall be confiscated and kept in the
safe custody to be handed over to the convict or undertrial
prisoner on his release...," said Gupta, who was summoned
following a letter received from Chief Metropolitan Magistrate
along with a report prepared by ACP Sanjeev Yadav about
the growing use of mobile phones by the inmates.
The senior officer also said that there have been
cases where the convicts and undertrials were found talking on
"Crime cannot be allowed to be perpetuated by the
inmates. Everyone expects to have an orderly society. A
civilised society expects good governance which means adequate
law and order situation and peace...," the Court said while
disposing of a PIL.
The Bench said "... the jail administration has a
major role to see that no inmate facilitates any kind of
criminality in the society".
The Bench accepted the submission made by Gupta that
landlines were available for prisoners to make calls to their
"We are absolutely conscious that communication is
an essential part of life. Even an undertrial prisoner and a
convict have the right to communicate but there has to be
discipline in the jail...," said the Bench and expressed
displeasure that despite the installation of CCTV cameras and
jammers in the jail, cellphones were being used by inmates.
The Bench had on May 17 summoned the DG (Prison) and
sought an explanation as to how the inmates were allowed to
use the phones.
The CMM had ordered an enquiry by Yadav after an
undertrial came to the courtroom with a SIM card hidden in his
mouth and lodged a complaint with the court that cellphones
were being used inside the jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says