Tihar inmates to be equipped with UIDs
New Delhi: Tihar jail inmates may soon be
given Unique Identification Numbers so that they can have
access to the benefits of Aadhaar scheme once they walk free.
Tihar authorities have decided to ask Aadhaar officials
to enrol the prisoners inside the jail premises.
"If every resident of India is entitled to the number
then why not the inmates? There is a talk going on in this
regard with the officials of the Deputy Commissioner of West,"
said R N Sharma, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Tihar Prisons.
"Since all inmates cannot make it to the enrolment
centre, we have decided to request the sub-divisional
magistrate of Rajouri Garden area to get the machines
installed inside the jail premises so that photos and
biometric scanning of fingerprints and iris are collected."
Those interested to enrol themselves will have to produce
an identity proof.
"Their temporary address will be the jail address and
their permanent one will be the one mentioned in the jail
records," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel