Tihar inmates to be equipped with UIDs
New Delhi: Tihar jail inmates may soon be
given Unique Identification Numbers so that they can have
access to the benefits of Aadhaar scheme once they walk free.
Tihar authorities have decided to ask Aadhaar officials
to enrol the prisoners inside the jail premises.
"If every resident of India is entitled to the number
then why not the inmates? There is a talk going on in this
regard with the officials of the Deputy Commissioner of West,"
said R N Sharma, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Tihar Prisons.
"Since all inmates cannot make it to the enrolment
centre, we have decided to request the sub-divisional
magistrate of Rajouri Garden area to get the machines
installed inside the jail premises so that photos and
biometric scanning of fingerprints and iris are collected."
Those interested to enrol themselves will have to produce
an identity proof.
"Their temporary address will be the jail address and
their permanent one will be the one mentioned in the jail
records," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- NASA’s SDO captures bursts of solar material from the Sun- Watch
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP