Tihar inmates to be equipped with UIDs
New Delhi: Tihar jail inmates may soon be
given Unique Identification Numbers so that they can have
access to the benefits of Aadhaar scheme once they walk free.
Tihar authorities have decided to ask Aadhaar officials
to enrol the prisoners inside the jail premises.
"If every resident of India is entitled to the number
then why not the inmates? There is a talk going on in this
regard with the officials of the Deputy Commissioner of West,"
said R N Sharma, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Tihar Prisons.
"Since all inmates cannot make it to the enrolment
centre, we have decided to request the sub-divisional
magistrate of Rajouri Garden area to get the machines
installed inside the jail premises so that photos and
biometric scanning of fingerprints and iris are collected."
Those interested to enrol themselves will have to produce
an identity proof.
"Their temporary address will be the jail address and
their permanent one will be the one mentioned in the jail
records," Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir