Tihar inmates` wages doubled
New Delhi: Delhi government has nearly
doubled the wages earned by Tihar inmates under the Minimum
Wages Act for the work rendered by them in the jail factory.
Wages are disbursed to the Tihar inmates in three
categories -- skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled workers. A
skilled worker gets Rs 52 per day while semi-skilled and
unskilled labourers are daily paid Rs 44 and Rs 40
As per the instructions of the lieutenant-governor
Tejendra Khanna skilled workers will now get Rs 99 per day
while semi-skilled and unskilled labourers will now be paid Rs
81 and Rs 70 respectively, spokesperson for Tihar inmates
Sunil Gupta said.
"Their wages have nearly been doubled. This has been
done keeping in mind the welfare of the inmates. From this
amount 25 per cent will be deducted towards compensation to
victims wronged by the inmates," he said.
Sacked IPS officer Ravi Kant Sharma, who is serving
life imprisonment in the Shivani Bhatnagar murder case had
earlier written a letter to the Chief Minister where he had
sought her intervention for increasing the daily wages of all
workers to Rs 200 per day as per the laid down norms.
Gupta said, "This is not possible as a huge
expenditure is incurred by the jail during their stay here.
They learn work here and this helps them to earn better when
they have completed their prison term."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"