Tihar inmates` wages doubled
New Delhi: Delhi government has nearly
doubled the wages earned by Tihar inmates under the Minimum
Wages Act for the work rendered by them in the jail factory.
Wages are disbursed to the Tihar inmates in three
categories -- skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled workers. A
skilled worker gets Rs 52 per day while semi-skilled and
unskilled labourers are daily paid Rs 44 and Rs 40
As per the instructions of the lieutenant-governor
Tejendra Khanna skilled workers will now get Rs 99 per day
while semi-skilled and unskilled labourers will now be paid Rs
81 and Rs 70 respectively, spokesperson for Tihar inmates
Sunil Gupta said.
"Their wages have nearly been doubled. This has been
done keeping in mind the welfare of the inmates. From this
amount 25 per cent will be deducted towards compensation to
victims wronged by the inmates," he said.
Sacked IPS officer Ravi Kant Sharma, who is serving
life imprisonment in the Shivani Bhatnagar murder case had
earlier written a letter to the Chief Minister where he had
sought her intervention for increasing the daily wages of all
workers to Rs 200 per day as per the laid down norms.
Gupta said, "This is not possible as a huge
expenditure is incurred by the jail during their stay here.
They learn work here and this helps them to earn better when
they have completed their prison term."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand