Tihar Jail cookies, cakes in Mother Dairy outlets?
New Delhi: Encouraged by the response to its
in-house products, Tihar Jail authorities are planning to
start sale of their factory items at Mother Dairy and Reliance
Fresh outlets, among others.
Products like bread, cookies, cakes, namkeen, biscuits,
rusks, loaves, oil and wooden furniture are manufactured in
huge quantity in the Tihar Jail factory. These high-quality
products are available at affordable prices to the people at
six different outlets in the city.
The retail trade of its products in its outlets has
increased the annual turnover from Rs 6.5 crore in the
year 2009 to Rs 10 crore in the year 2010.
"Our annual turnover last year has doubled. We have
received a huge response for our factory items. We have just
six outlets. We intend to reach a large section of people.
That is why we are planning to make our products available at
Mother Dairy and Reliance Fresh markets. We will also approach
the MCD to purchase our woodwork for their schools," Sunil
Gupta, law officer and spokesperson, Tihar Prisons said.
"We are also aiming at attaining the goal of Rs 15 crore
annual turnover this year. The more the products sell, the
more it increases the job opportunities for the inmates inside
the prison premises and he or she also gets to earn well. It
will also help towards the rehabilitation programme for the
prisoners," he said.
He said that authorities were also planning to open
outlets at all court complexes - Patiala House, Tis Hazari,
Dwarka, Karkardooma and Rohini courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'