Tihar official denies assault on Delhi gang-rape accused

The jail official said Sharma`s right arm was fractured "due to a fall in police van while returning to jail from court".

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: A Tihar jail authority in its report to the special court here, has refuted the allegation that Dec 16 gang-rape accused Vinay Sharma was beaten by inmates while the accused claimed threat to life and refused to return to prison after the hearing.

The jail official said Sharma`s right arm was fractured "due to a fall in police van while returning to jail from court".

The Superintendent of Jail No 7 in Tihar, Lokesh Chandra, who was directed by the court yesterday to explain as to how Vinay suffered the fracture, refuted the allegations that the accused was attack in jail and claimed he was injured during a fight with one of the co-accused Akshay Singh in the van while returning to the prison from court.

Reports suggest that Sharma fell down while having a fight with Singh in the van and eventually fractured his right hand.

The prison authorities, in their report, said Vinay and five other undertrials, who are lodged with him in a cell, are kept under 24 hours CCTV surveillance and it was not possible that other inmates had hurt him.

The report also said that Vinay made contradictory statements in various hospitals regarding his medical status and this proves that allegations made by him are "false and mischievous".

"In the light of contradictory statements of the patient prisoner (Vinay) in various hospitals, the allegations levelled in the application are totally false, mischievous, unfounded and for ulterior motive," it said.

Amid high drama, Sharma, whose arm was bandaged, pleaded before Additional Session Judge Yogesh Khanna not to send him to Tihar jail after the court proceeding as he feared for his life.

"If you want to kill me, kill me here but don`t send me to Tihar in any condition," said Sharma.

The court however did not concede his request and Sharma was taken to Tihar after the day`s proceeding.

His counsel claimed jail officials beat up his client in prison Friday night.

On Friday, Sharma arrived in court with a fractured hand and his counsel said jail inmates and police beat him up as he wanted to appear for an Indian Air Force (IAF) recruitment exam.

The court reserved the order on an application which said that accused were being treated brutally in Tihar and they should be transferred to Rohini Jail.

The court will pass the order on the application Monday and directed the jail superintendent to look into the security of all the accused.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link