Tihar official denies assault on Delhi gang-rape accused
New Delhi: A Tihar jail authority in its report to the special court here, has refuted the allegation that Dec 16 gang-rape accused Vinay Sharma was beaten by inmates while the accused claimed threat to life and refused to return to prison after the hearing.
The jail official said Sharma`s right arm was fractured "due to a fall in police van while returning to jail from court".
The Superintendent of Jail No 7 in Tihar, Lokesh Chandra, who was directed by the court yesterday to explain as to how Vinay suffered the fracture, refuted the allegations that the accused was attack in jail and claimed he was injured during a fight with one of the co-accused Akshay Singh in the van while returning to the prison from court.
Reports suggest that Sharma fell down while having a fight with Singh in the van and eventually fractured his right hand.
The prison authorities, in their report, said Vinay and five other undertrials, who are lodged with him in a cell, are kept under 24 hours CCTV surveillance and it was not possible that other inmates had hurt him.
The report also said that Vinay made contradictory statements in various hospitals regarding his medical status and this proves that allegations made by him are "false and mischievous".
"In the light of contradictory statements of the patient prisoner (Vinay) in various hospitals, the allegations levelled in the application are totally false, mischievous, unfounded and for ulterior motive," it said.
Amid high drama, Sharma, whose arm was bandaged, pleaded before Additional Session Judge Yogesh Khanna not to send him to Tihar jail after the court proceeding as he feared for his life.
"If you want to kill me, kill me here but don`t send me to Tihar in any condition," said Sharma.
The court however did not concede his request and Sharma was taken to Tihar after the day`s proceeding.
His counsel claimed jail officials beat up his client in prison Friday night.
On Friday, Sharma arrived in court with a fractured hand and his counsel said jail inmates and police beat him up as he wanted to appear for an Indian Air Force (IAF) recruitment exam.
The court reserved the order on an application which said that accused were being treated brutally in Tihar and they should be transferred to Rohini Jail.
The court will pass the order on the application Monday and directed the jail superintendent to look into the security of all the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow