Tihar`s needy inmates to get Rs 500 per month
New Delhi: Keeping in mind the welfare of its inmates, Tihar Prisons authorities have launched a new scheme to provide Rs 500 per month as financial help to poor and needy prisoners lodged there.
Under the scheme titled `Sparsh`, 2,200 inmates will get an amount of Rs 500 with which they can make purchase from the jail canteen for day to day requirements or use it when out on parole or furlough.
Sunil Gupta, spokesperson, Tihar Prisons said, "We have started a scheme whereby we are providing an amount of Rs 500 to the poor and needy inmates. They can use it to meet their requirements from the jail canteen and also meet the travel expenses when they are released on parole or furlough.
"This we are doing in order to relieve them from the financial and emotional stress they undergo due to their poor economical condition. Most of these 2,200 inmates are so poor that they do not even have a prisoner property account."
The idea was conceived when the authorities were reported about the low morale among poor inmates who usually do not have any visitors.
"Every inmate is allowed to have two turns of `mulaqat` (meeting) with relatives or friends. When they come over, they bring in food items and money for the inmate. This money is stored in the inmates PPA which they use as per their requirements. Sadly the poor inmates had no visitors and so they could not enjoy such facility," he said.
Gupta said that this scheme will "boost their morale, relieve them of the stress and also stop them from being repeated offenders".
He said that "all jail superintendents, welfare officers and assistant superintendent welfare officers have been asked to recognise poor inmates who do not have any earning and when out of the jail have to travel a long distance to reach home."
Those living beyond five kilometres but within the jurisdiction of Delhi will be provided with local fares."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed