Tirath for more police patrols in areas where NE girls live
New Delhi: Expressing shock and dismay at
the abduction and rape of a Mizoram girl in the capital,
Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna
Tirath Thursday sought more PCR vans and extra police posts in
areas where women from the North-East live in large numbers.
Tirath said that she would take up the issue with the
"I am very much concerned about these incidents
happening to the girls from North East. I had already taken up
this issue and I am going to reiterate this issue with the
Home Ministry that they should have extra kiosks and PCR vans
in all police stations in areas where there is a concentration
of girls from North East," she told reporters here.
She said that there was a need to ensure safe working
conditions for women. "I am also asking the police to hold
gender sensitisation workshops in every police station so that
police personnel at all levels are adequately sensitised to
"Our Ministry is shortly going to inaugurate a working
women`s hostel in Jasola for the girls from North-East," the
The 30-year-old victim was walking towards her home in
Moti Village in south Delhi early yesterday morning along with
one of her colleagues when four men in a vehicle abducted her
and took turns to rape her.
This is the latest in several incidents of sexual
assaults in the city where girls from the North-East were at
the receiving end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video