Toll during Ganesha idols immersion rises to 13
New Delhi: As least 13 persons drowned during the ceremonial immersion of Lord Ganesha`s idols in the Yamuna river here Wednesday. Rescue operations were continuing Thursday and authorities said the toll might go up.
"At least four more bodies have been fished out from Wazirabad ghat since Thursday morning while a total of nine bodies were recovered Wednesday from the Yamuna river," a fire service official said.
All the victims drowned in the Yamuna river here at various ghats Wednesday during immersion ceremonies of Lord Ganesha`s idols, police said.
Five bodies were fished out from Wazirabad, two from Burari and one from Sonia Vihar area, a police official added.
The deceased were identified as Rajesh, 25, Toshi, 25, Rahul 31, Kale, 31, and Yogesh Kumar, 20.
While the bodies of Sunny, 22, and Bhogat, 20, were fished out from Sonia Vihar, 45-year-old Bhagat was brought out from Burari.
Many bodies have not been identified as yet.
Last year, five people had drowned at Wazirabad ghat during idol immersion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest