Toll during Ganesha idols immersion rises to 13
New Delhi: As least 13 persons drowned during the ceremonial immersion of Lord Ganesha`s idols in the Yamuna river here Wednesday. Rescue operations were continuing Thursday and authorities said the toll might go up.
"At least four more bodies have been fished out from Wazirabad ghat since Thursday morning while a total of nine bodies were recovered Wednesday from the Yamuna river," a fire service official said.
All the victims drowned in the Yamuna river here at various ghats Wednesday during immersion ceremonies of Lord Ganesha`s idols, police said.
Five bodies were fished out from Wazirabad, two from Burari and one from Sonia Vihar area, a police official added.
The deceased were identified as Rajesh, 25, Toshi, 25, Rahul 31, Kale, 31, and Yogesh Kumar, 20.
While the bodies of Sunny, 22, and Bhogat, 20, were fished out from Sonia Vihar, 45-year-old Bhagat was brought out from Burari.
Many bodies have not been identified as yet.
Last year, five people had drowned at Wazirabad ghat during idol immersion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai believes mobile phone has become the remote control for daily lives
- Sharing Twitter posts can hamper your memory!
- Try these tricks and increase your phone's speed in just 1 minute
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 25: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Gujarat Lions — As it happened...
- 100 shanties gutted after massive fire breaks out in Andhra slum clusters, fire tenders rushed