Toll during Ganesha idols immersion rises to 13
New Delhi: As least 13 persons drowned during the ceremonial immersion of Lord Ganesha`s idols in the Yamuna river here Wednesday. Rescue operations were continuing Thursday and authorities said the toll might go up.
"At least four more bodies have been fished out from Wazirabad ghat since Thursday morning while a total of nine bodies were recovered Wednesday from the Yamuna river," a fire service official said.
All the victims drowned in the Yamuna river here at various ghats Wednesday during immersion ceremonies of Lord Ganesha`s idols, police said.
Five bodies were fished out from Wazirabad, two from Burari and one from Sonia Vihar area, a police official added.
The deceased were identified as Rajesh, 25, Toshi, 25, Rahul 31, Kale, 31, and Yogesh Kumar, 20.
While the bodies of Sunny, 22, and Bhogat, 20, were fished out from Sonia Vihar, 45-year-old Bhagat was brought out from Burari.
Many bodies have not been identified as yet.
Last year, five people had drowned at Wazirabad ghat during idol immersion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- China to feel Brexit effects, yuan to weaken against dollar: JP Morgan
- As Central India faces drought, violence and murders on the rise over water
- Baby boom! Teejay Sidhu and Karanvir Bohra to become parents for the first time
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!