Tough time for Delhi Police personnel at Kejriwal dharna site
New Delhi: It has been a grueling time for nearly 2,000 Delhi Police personnel, including 16 DCPs, deployed at the site where Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal is sitting on a dharna against city police`s alleged high-handedness.
The task for these personnel began from 6 AM in ensuring that the place is secured for Kejriwal who had decided to stage a protest despite prohibitory orders in place.
"Ensuring smooth flow of transport as it was the first day of the week for officegoers and safe passage of Republic Day rehearsal parade were also on agenda," a senior police official said.
As many as 16 deputy commissioners of police, 34 assistant commissioners and over 50 inspectors were among the 2,000 strong police contingent guarding the chief minister.
As some more protesters wanted to join Kejriwal post lunch, the area was completely sealed to prevent situation slipping out of hands.
Some organisations wanted to stage a counter agitation for remarks made by senior AAP leader Prashant Bhushan on Kashmir but that could have only escalated tension. This added to the burden of the policemen, who have been hungry since morning, the official said.
These men would be replaced for the night only to return for duty at 6 AM.
AAP is staging a demonstration for suspension of some police officials who had not followed the `orders` of the Delhi Law Minister Somnath Bharti to arrest some Ugandan and Nigerian nationals.
Delhi Police, however, said the orders were not within the legal framework.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof