Tough time for Delhi Police personnel at Kejriwal dharna site
New Delhi: It has been a grueling time for nearly 2,000 Delhi Police personnel, including 16 DCPs, deployed at the site where Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal is sitting on a dharna against city police`s alleged high-handedness.
The task for these personnel began from 6 AM in ensuring that the place is secured for Kejriwal who had decided to stage a protest despite prohibitory orders in place.
"Ensuring smooth flow of transport as it was the first day of the week for officegoers and safe passage of Republic Day rehearsal parade were also on agenda," a senior police official said.
As many as 16 deputy commissioners of police, 34 assistant commissioners and over 50 inspectors were among the 2,000 strong police contingent guarding the chief minister.
As some more protesters wanted to join Kejriwal post lunch, the area was completely sealed to prevent situation slipping out of hands.
Some organisations wanted to stage a counter agitation for remarks made by senior AAP leader Prashant Bhushan on Kashmir but that could have only escalated tension. This added to the burden of the policemen, who have been hungry since morning, the official said.
These men would be replaced for the night only to return for duty at 6 AM.
AAP is staging a demonstration for suspension of some police officials who had not followed the `orders` of the Delhi Law Minister Somnath Bharti to arrest some Ugandan and Nigerian nationals.
Delhi Police, however, said the orders were not within the legal framework.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe