Trade union leader, wife arrested for suspected Maoist links
New Delhi: A trade union leader and his
wife were detained in connection with investigations into
Maoist network in the capital, police sources said here on Tuesday.
Trade union leaders Gopal Mishra and his wife Anu were
detained by a team of Delhi Police`s Special Cell, the sources
However, no official was ready go on record on the
On April four, Sunil Mandiwal, an assistant professor
with Delhi University`s Dayal Singh College, was detained for
his suspected links with Maoists, including arrested leader
Khobad Ghandy. He was released after questioning.
During investigations into the Maoist network in the
capital, police sources had earlier said that it came to light
that the extremists were infiltrating into trade unions in the
They had an active trade union in Okhla Industrial
area. The Maoists were also targeting displaced labourers and
bringing them under their fold, they said.
An NGO, Committee for the Release of Political
Prisoners (CRPP,) claimed that Mishra was taken into custody
on April 25 from his residence in Ramnagar in east Delhi and
his wife was picked up yesterday.
The CRPP quoted Ritesh Kumar, the owner of the house
in which Mishra was staying as a tenant, as saying that police
reached the residence along with Mishra at 11 AM yesterday and
waited till evening for his wife Anu to return.
"The house owner was later told by the police that
they were taking him to the police station. Later it became
clear that along with Mishra another trade unionist Pradeep
was also taken away by the police," the CRPP said.
The NGO demanded the unconditional release of the
two and that they be given access to lawyers.
The NGO has also sent a letter to National Human
Rights Commission seeking its intervention to get the couple
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'CashEnglish' app rewards users with real cash
- Oh boy! Some cool tips for men's styling
- Superstar Mohanlal wants CM Vijayan to tackle Kerala's 'biggest terror', here is what he said
- Brexit fears: Asia markets collapse as Britain looks set to leave EU
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt new BFFs in B-Town? Here's why