Traders’ shutdown in Delhi today
New Delhi: The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) and Khudra FDI Virodhi Rashtriya Morcha have called for a `Delhi Trade Bandh` on Thursday.
Markets across the national capital would remain closed today to protest against the government`s decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail.
"In support of `Save Retail Democracy Rally` on March 7 at Ramlila Ground being held by the Confederation of All India Traders and Khudra FDI Virodhi Rashtriya Morcha, a joint coalition of retail stakeholders, the commercial markets in Delhi will remain closed," CAIT statement said.
A rally will be held at Ramlila Ground by the Confederation of All India Traders.
Narender Madan, Delhi unit president, CAIT said the wholesale and retail markets in Walled City, Sadar Bazar, Kamla Nagar, Chawri Bazar, Connaught Place, Karol Bagh, Kashmere Gate, Tilak Nagar, Rohini, Krishna Nagar will remain closed, among others.
According to organisers, the rally is expected to draw thousands of traders across the country, it will begin around 10.30 am and end by 2 pm.
Among those participating in the protest are top leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) like party chief Rajnath Singh, leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, and Murli Manohar Joshi.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav and Communist Party of India (CPI) leader AB Bardhan are also expected to participate in the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves