Traders’ shutdown in Delhi today
New Delhi: The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) and Khudra FDI Virodhi Rashtriya Morcha have called for a `Delhi Trade Bandh` on Thursday.
Markets across the national capital would remain closed today to protest against the government`s decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail.
"In support of `Save Retail Democracy Rally` on March 7 at Ramlila Ground being held by the Confederation of All India Traders and Khudra FDI Virodhi Rashtriya Morcha, a joint coalition of retail stakeholders, the commercial markets in Delhi will remain closed," CAIT statement said.
A rally will be held at Ramlila Ground by the Confederation of All India Traders.
Narender Madan, Delhi unit president, CAIT said the wholesale and retail markets in Walled City, Sadar Bazar, Kamla Nagar, Chawri Bazar, Connaught Place, Karol Bagh, Kashmere Gate, Tilak Nagar, Rohini, Krishna Nagar will remain closed, among others.
According to organisers, the rally is expected to draw thousands of traders across the country, it will begin around 10.30 am and end by 2 pm.
Among those participating in the protest are top leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) like party chief Rajnath Singh, leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, and Murli Manohar Joshi.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav and Communist Party of India (CPI) leader AB Bardhan are also expected to participate in the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest