Traders’ shutdown in Delhi today
New Delhi: The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) and Khudra FDI Virodhi Rashtriya Morcha have called for a `Delhi Trade Bandh` on Thursday.
Markets across the national capital would remain closed today to protest against the government`s decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail.
"In support of `Save Retail Democracy Rally` on March 7 at Ramlila Ground being held by the Confederation of All India Traders and Khudra FDI Virodhi Rashtriya Morcha, a joint coalition of retail stakeholders, the commercial markets in Delhi will remain closed," CAIT statement said.
A rally will be held at Ramlila Ground by the Confederation of All India Traders.
Narender Madan, Delhi unit president, CAIT said the wholesale and retail markets in Walled City, Sadar Bazar, Kamla Nagar, Chawri Bazar, Connaught Place, Karol Bagh, Kashmere Gate, Tilak Nagar, Rohini, Krishna Nagar will remain closed, among others.
According to organisers, the rally is expected to draw thousands of traders across the country, it will begin around 10.30 am and end by 2 pm.
Among those participating in the protest are top leaders of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) like party chief Rajnath Singh, leader of opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, leader of opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, and Murli Manohar Joshi.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U) chief Sharad Yadav and Communist Party of India (CPI) leader AB Bardhan are also expected to participate in the rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks