Tragedies in Delhi – A timeline
New Delhi: The east Delhi building collapse that claimed more than 60 lives may be the worst ever tragedy in the recent times, but the national capital has been
witnessing such incidents very frequently.
In the past five years, the city has witnessed more
than 15 incidents that claimed at least 100 lives, including
those who were killed in the Laxmi Nagar building collapse
Most recently, 14 people were trapped when a portion
of a wall of an underground multi-level parking under
construction collapsed in Chandni Chowk area late last month.
On September 21, more than 19 people were injured in a
bridge collapse on the Commonwealth Games site near the main
Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.
On July 14, six members of a family, including three
women, were killed when a two-storey building they were
staying in collapsed near Usmanpur.
Three persons were killed when a newly-constructed
building collapsed in Sector 6 of Rohini in the capital`s
north-west on April 26.
On September 1, 2009, an under-construction three-storey
building collapsed in east Delhi`s Ramnagar area, injuring 19
persons, three of them seriously.
On July 12 last year, at least 7 people were killed
and 15 injured when a bridge being built for the Metro rail
collapsed in the capital. The collapse also incurred a direct
loss of Rs 6 crore.
On June 14, 2009, five persons were killed and 9
others injured in a cylinder blast inside a welding shop that
led to the collapse of a building in Nangloi area of outer
Before that, a four-storeyed under-construction
building collapsed on December 20, 2008 in Krishna Nagar area of
east Delhi which injured several people.
On October 19 same year, two people lost their lives
while 11 were badly injured when a partially built bridge
collapsed in the capital.
On May 18, 2008, at least 17 construction workers were
killed and nearly 30 others injured when a wall collapsed at a
building site in the suburbs of the national capital.
Less than two months ago, seven people lost their
lives when a four-storey under-construction building
collapsed in New Usmanpur of North East Delhi on March 29, 2008.
Most of the casualties were the labourers, police said.
The previous year, on May 8, three persons were killed
and several others injured when a portion of a newly
constructed ashram collapsed on them in Alipur area of
On February 11, 2007, one person was killed and three were
injured when an old building collapsed in F block of Madipur
area in west Delhi.
On December 25, 2005, nine persons were killed and several
others injured when a mound of earth fell on them at a
construction site in South Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion over why opposition stopped PM Modi from speaking?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug