Train coach attendant jailed for sexual assault
New Delhi: A coach attendant has been sentenced to five years in jail for sexually assaulting a minor girl onboard a train.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain sent to jail 20-year-old Vinod Kumar, who was working as a bed roll boy in the Brahmaputra Mail.
The court also slapped on him a fine of Rs.2,000.
"Convict (Kumar) was working as a bed roll boy in the AC IInd class coach in Brahmaputra Mail... being the coach attendant, it was his duty not only to serve the passengers but also to protect them from any danger," the court said in its ruling Tuesday.
A complaint was lodged against him for aggravated sexual assault under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act at the Old Delhi Railway Station police station by the girl`s mother.
According to the prosecution, the girl was travelling in the Brahmaputra Mail Jan 26, 2013 and attendant Vinod Kumar molested her.
The girl`s mother said her daughter had resisted his assault and tried to call her (the mother) but she could not hear her as she was asleep. The girl rushed towards the washroom and was followed by Vinod who also entered the toilet with her.
"He sexually assaulted the victim below 12 years of age just to satisfy his lust after finding her alone in the early morning hours when co-passengers, including her mother, were in deep sleep," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!