Train coach attendant jailed for sexual assault
New Delhi: A coach attendant has been sentenced to five years in jail for sexually assaulting a minor girl onboard a train.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain sent to jail 20-year-old Vinod Kumar, who was working as a bed roll boy in the Brahmaputra Mail.
The court also slapped on him a fine of Rs.2,000.
"Convict (Kumar) was working as a bed roll boy in the AC IInd class coach in Brahmaputra Mail... being the coach attendant, it was his duty not only to serve the passengers but also to protect them from any danger," the court said in its ruling Tuesday.
A complaint was lodged against him for aggravated sexual assault under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act at the Old Delhi Railway Station police station by the girl`s mother.
According to the prosecution, the girl was travelling in the Brahmaputra Mail Jan 26, 2013 and attendant Vinod Kumar molested her.
The girl`s mother said her daughter had resisted his assault and tried to call her (the mother) but she could not hear her as she was asleep. The girl rushed towards the washroom and was followed by Vinod who also entered the toilet with her.
"He sexually assaulted the victim below 12 years of age just to satisfy his lust after finding her alone in the early morning hours when co-passengers, including her mother, were in deep sleep," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie