Transparency key to achieve high economic growth: Vinod Rai
New Delhi: Concerned over corruption, Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai on Saturday cautioned that India cannot achieve and sustain high growth rate without transparency and accountability.
"Economic growth cannot be made sustainable, cannot be made inclusive, unless it is based on transparency and accountability," he said while speaking at the 11th All India Lokayuktas Conference 2012 here.
The issue of corruption in India is not new, he said, adding that the country needed to deal with it effectively to achieve and sustain 8 per cent economic growth rate as "there is just no (other) way."
Government auditor CAG in its reports on 2G spectrum, coal blocks allocation and other issues had highlighted various practises of the government that lead to huge loss to the exchequer. These reports had evoked sharp reaction from the government.
The Indian economy had been growing at over nine per cent till the global financial meltdown pulled the growth rate to 6.7 per cent in 2008-09.
As regards the functioning of the CAG, Rai said, the government auditor has started coming out with booklets to create public awareness on issues related day-to-day issues.
"We have now started reducing our complicated audit reports into small booklet named noddy books. On all issues related to social sector, we have brought booklet of 14-15 pages," he said.
The effort should be to achieve excellence and not "celebrate mediocrity", he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America