Treat constables with respect: BK Gupta
New Delhi: Constables who stand under scorching sun for long hours while performing their duties are the "real heroes" and they should be treated with respect -- this is the message of outgoing Delhi Police chief BK Gupta to senior police officers.
In his address at the Farewell Parade on the occasion of his retirement today, Gupta said, "Constables have to be treated with respect. They are the people who stand in the sun at 45 degree Celsius. It is easy to talk about policing sitting in AC rooms, but they do not have these comforts. We have to understand their problems".
Most of the constables travel more than two-and-a-half hours to their offices and work more than 12 hours, Gupta said as he was given a warm farewell.
"Really they are the heroes. They work in hard situations. We have to motivate them," he said.
Gupta also said that he had a "very satisfying" tenure as the capital`s police chief and claimed that street crime had reduced after he took over.
On his nearly two-year tenure, Gupta said that under his leadership, the Delhi Police faced almost all issues successfully.
"We had said street crime will be controlled and I am happy to say that in 2011 and 2012 there was decrease in the numbers. In terror front also, we have achieved many successes by arresting so many terrorists. The backbone of policing is beat system and we have revived it", he said.
Gupta, who took charge as Commissioner on November 10, 2010 after then chief Y S Dadwal was transferred to the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) as its Director General, retires today and will hand over charge to senior IPS officer Neeraj Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends