Treat the poor free of cost: Centre to hospitals
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday told the Delhi High Court, that it would soon issue a circular asking all private hospitals, built on government land allocated to them at subsidised rates, to provide free treatment to the poor.
Advocate S K Dubey made this submission to a bench of justices S Ravindra Bhat and G P Mittal on behalf of the union government, while seeking two weeks for it to furnish the list of hospitals built on government land.
Allowing the Centre`s plea, the court scheduled the matter for next hearing on September 26.
The court had earlier asked, the government to furnish it a list of various private hospitals, which had been allocated land at subsidised prices on the condition that they would provide free medical treatment to the poor.
The court was hearing a plea to launch contempt of court proceedings against three private hospitals - Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital, Moolchand and St Stephens for defying a previous order of the court to provide free beds to poor patients and extend them free indoor medical treatment in return for the subsidised land allocated to them.
The contempt plea was filed by Social Jurists, a civil society, through its counsel Ashok Aggarwal, who alleged three hospitals have failed to comply with the high court`s March 2007 order.
The court had in its order stipulated that the hospitals, which had got the government land at subsidised prices, would provide free treatment to the poor by reserving 10 per cent of its bed in the Indoor Patient Department and free treatment to up to 25 per cent of its outdoor patient.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi