Trial starts in 2008 serial blasts involving IM militants
New Delhi: The trial in serial blasts case
of 2008 in the national capital commenced on Tuesday in a Delhi
court with recording of the statements of some doctors who
said the victims had suffered injuries due to the impact of
explosions allegedly triggered by Indian Mujahideen militants.
The blasts that had occurred in quick succession in
crowded localities on September 13, 2008, left 26 people dead
and 135 injured.
Five cases were registered in connection with explosions
at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road and Central
Park in Connaught Place, M-Block Market in Greater Kailash and
recovery of bomb near India Gate.
The doctors, four from Lady Hardinge Medical College and
one from Maulana Azad Medical College, deposed before
Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann and supported the
prosecution theory that the victims died and were injured due
to the impact of the explosion.
The doctors had performed the autopsy of the bodies and
were also cross-examined by the lawyers of the alleged
militants and the case is listed for hearing on July 13.
The court had earlier framed charges against 13 suspected
Indian Mujahideen modules for their alleged role in the serial
blasts. They were charged with waging war against the state
and killing people in the blast.
"Prima facie, offences punishable under sections
121A/121 (waging war against the nation), 302 (murder), 307
(attempt to murder), 427 (mischief to property) read with
120-B (criminal conspiracy) of Indian Penal Code and relevant
sections of the Explosives Substance Act, the Information
Technology Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
are made out against the 13 accused," the court had said.
One of the accused in the case, Salman was discharged by
the court which said there was no evidence of his involvement
in the blasts.
The suspected IM modules against whom the charges were
framed include Mohd Shakeel, Mohd Saif, Zeeshan Ahmed,
Zia-ur-Rehaman, Saquib Nisar, Mohd Sadique, Kayamuddin
Kapadia, Mohd Hakim, Mohd Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar
Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohd Akbar Ismail Chaudhary and
Shahzad Ahmed, after they pleaded `not guilty` and claimed
Among the 14 accused, five were arrested by Delhi police
following an encounter at Batla House here on September 19,
Of the remaining accused, four were apprehended by Mumbai
police, three by Uttar Pradesh police and one each by
Hyderabad and Madhya Pradesh police.
Delhi Police had registered the cases under different
laws, including anti-terror law Unlawful Activities
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery