Truck tries to mow down cops at DND Expressway: Police
New Delhi: Two senior officials and a policeman had a close shave when a truck allegedly tried to mow them down during a traffic checking drive in the capital late last night, police said on Wednesday.
The driver of the truck, Asab Khan, was arrested today.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Prem Nath and Head Constable Ravinder stopped a truck at the DND Expressway at around 9 PM last night but it tried to run them over.
"We thought the truck would slow down, but instead the driver speeded up and that is when DCP Prem Nath pulled me away from the truck`s path. Head Constable Ravinder fell down. He rolled between the truck`s wheels to save himself," Garg told a press conference.
The sand-laden truck was chased for over one km but the driver fled the spot.
"The driver parked the truck by the roadside and fled. A case of attempt to murder has been registered against him," Garg said.
After impounding the vehicle, police were trying to trace its owner. The vehicle is registered in Haryana`s Mewat region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch