Truck tries to mow down cops at DND Expressway: Police
New Delhi: Two senior officials and a policeman had a close shave when a truck allegedly tried to mow them down during a traffic checking drive in the capital late last night, police said on Wednesday.
The driver of the truck, Asab Khan, was arrested today.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Prem Nath and Head Constable Ravinder stopped a truck at the DND Expressway at around 9 PM last night but it tried to run them over.
"We thought the truck would slow down, but instead the driver speeded up and that is when DCP Prem Nath pulled me away from the truck`s path. Head Constable Ravinder fell down. He rolled between the truck`s wheels to save himself," Garg told a press conference.
The sand-laden truck was chased for over one km but the driver fled the spot.
"The driver parked the truck by the roadside and fled. A case of attempt to murder has been registered against him," Garg said.
After impounding the vehicle, police were trying to trace its owner. The vehicle is registered in Haryana`s Mewat region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Davis Cup: India to host Spain under flood-lights
- India, US eye bilateral trade worth $500 billion: Report
- GST, reforms to boost bilateral trade with India, address biz climate issues: US
- REVEALED: Gianni Infantino says FIFA salary less than USD 2m, well below Sepp Blatter earned
- Simple tips to avoid getting duped while buying gold