Truck tries to mow down cops at DND Expressway: Police
New Delhi: Two senior officials and a policeman had a close shave when a truck allegedly tried to mow them down during a traffic checking drive in the capital late last night, police said on Wednesday.
The driver of the truck, Asab Khan, was arrested today.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Prem Nath and Head Constable Ravinder stopped a truck at the DND Expressway at around 9 PM last night but it tried to run them over.
"We thought the truck would slow down, but instead the driver speeded up and that is when DCP Prem Nath pulled me away from the truck`s path. Head Constable Ravinder fell down. He rolled between the truck`s wheels to save himself," Garg told a press conference.
The sand-laden truck was chased for over one km but the driver fled the spot.
"The driver parked the truck by the roadside and fled. A case of attempt to murder has been registered against him," Garg said.
After impounding the vehicle, police were trying to trace its owner. The vehicle is registered in Haryana`s Mewat region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!