Truck tries to mow down cops at DND Expressway: Police
New Delhi: Two senior officials and a policeman had a close shave when a truck allegedly tried to mow them down during a traffic checking drive in the capital late last night, police said on Wednesday.
The driver of the truck, Asab Khan, was arrested today.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Prem Nath and Head Constable Ravinder stopped a truck at the DND Expressway at around 9 PM last night but it tried to run them over.
"We thought the truck would slow down, but instead the driver speeded up and that is when DCP Prem Nath pulled me away from the truck`s path. Head Constable Ravinder fell down. He rolled between the truck`s wheels to save himself," Garg told a press conference.
The sand-laden truck was chased for over one km but the driver fled the spot.
"The driver parked the truck by the roadside and fled. A case of attempt to murder has been registered against him," Garg said.
After impounding the vehicle, police were trying to trace its owner. The vehicle is registered in Haryana`s Mewat region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured