Trust to be set up to help rape victims: Nirbhaya`s mother
New Delhi: The mother of the 23-year-old Delhi December 16 gangrape victim on Monday announced that her family will set up of a trust to help rape victims.
"We would form a trust for rape victims which would provide all types of help to them," the mother said while trying to hold back her tears at a prayer meeting organized here to mark one year of the horrific incident at the Constitution Club which saw several politicians and other dignitaries in attendance.
Participating at the prayer meeting, the leaders, cutting across political affiliations, resolved to redouble their efforts to improve the security of women.
"Even Parliament took cognizance of the anger. The (rape) law was made stricter. The definition of rape was extended. Provision for death sentence for rape accused was done in the law and because of that provision, the convicts were provided death penalty after the trial," said BJP leader Sushma Swaraj.
She, however, expressed disappointment that the juvenile who was convicted for his involvement in the crime by the Juvenile Justice Board got just three years term in a special remand home.
"It has been a regret that the biggest offender in the case was given the benefit of age and he got just three years as punishment and was sent to a juvenile home," she said.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, who was seen hugging and consoling the mother of the victim at the event, said Delhi`s society and the various authorities will come together to build something in her memory.
"...Whatever you will want in her memory, we will try to fulfill. And we will try with a conviction that such an incident is not repeated with anybody else in the future," she said.
The prayer meeting was also attended by Minister of state for Home RPN Singh, BJP leader Shahnawaz Hussain, Chairperson of National Commission for Women Mamta Sharma and film actress Shabana Azmi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional