Tutor gets 5 yrs` jail term for trying to kill wife
New Delhi: A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to five years in jail by a Delhi court for trying to kill his wife for her failure to bring sufficient dowry.
Additional Sessions Judge Yashwant Kumar held Vishav Kumar Aggarwal, a private tutor by profession, guilty of attempting to murder his wife as he remained a "mute spectator" to his mother`s attempt to burn his wife to death.
"Convict Vishav Kumar Aggarwal is sentenced to two years rigorous imprisonment under section 498A (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) of the IPC with fine of Rs 5,000.
"The convict is further sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment under section 307 (attempt to murder) of the IPC with fine of Rs 35,000," the court said.
The judge also directed that "out of the total fine amount of Rs 40,000, a sum of Rs 35,000 shall be given to the wife as compensation for her sufferings and trauma."
The court did not hold the convict`s parents, also accused in the case, guilty as they had died during the pendency of the trial.
The court refused to release the accused on probation saying "the convict Vishav no doubt was standing nearby the victim as a silent spectator while his mother (since dead) was pouring kerosene oil upon her."
"Therefore, Vishav cannot be given benefit under the Probation of Offenders Act in such offence."
According to the prosecution, the couple were married in February 2000. The bride lived with Vishav in his parental home in North West Delhi.
The prosecution added that despite four years of marriage, Vishav and his parents used to pester her to bring more money and house holds goods from her parents and as she failed to bring in more dowry, she was set ablaze one day by her mother-in-law in 2004.
The counsel for the convict had sought a lenient view in the sentencing saying he was supporting himself and paying maintenance to his wife and daughter, living separately from him after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal