Twelve policemen injured in clash over death of father-son duo
Ghaziabad: At least 12 policemen, including a circle officer, were injured when an irate mob went berserk after a factory worker and his 12-year-old son were killed in a road accident here on Saturday.
According to police, angry residents torched a dozen vehicles and blocked Delhi-Saharanpur road for several hours after Atal Sharma (35) and his son Diwakar were run over by a truck in Loni area.
The father-son duo were on way to Delhi on a bike when the truck ran over them. Sharma died on the spot, while Diwakar succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.
Several angry residents gathered and placed Sharma`s body on Delhi-Saharanpur road and pelted stones at police, injuring a dozen officials including Circle Officer (Border) Arvind Kumar.
Several teams of police forces and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) had to be deployed to disperse the crowd.
District Magistrate SVS Rangarao and the SSP also visited the area to calm down the angry agitators. The DM announced an ex-gratia of Rs 50,000 to the kin of the deceased.
The body has been sent for post mortem and a case has been registered, police said, adding that a search is on to nab the absconding truck driver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred