Twelve policemen injured in clash over death of father-son duo
Ghaziabad: At least 12 policemen, including a circle officer, were injured when an irate mob went berserk after a factory worker and his 12-year-old son were killed in a road accident here on Saturday.
According to police, angry residents torched a dozen vehicles and blocked Delhi-Saharanpur road for several hours after Atal Sharma (35) and his son Diwakar were run over by a truck in Loni area.
The father-son duo were on way to Delhi on a bike when the truck ran over them. Sharma died on the spot, while Diwakar succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.
Several angry residents gathered and placed Sharma`s body on Delhi-Saharanpur road and pelted stones at police, injuring a dozen officials including Circle Officer (Border) Arvind Kumar.
Several teams of police forces and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) had to be deployed to disperse the crowd.
District Magistrate SVS Rangarao and the SSP also visited the area to calm down the angry agitators. The DM announced an ex-gratia of Rs 50,000 to the kin of the deceased.
The body has been sent for post mortem and a case has been registered, police said, adding that a search is on to nab the absconding truck driver.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Shocking! 7th Pay Commission recommends abolition of overtime for government employees
- VVIP chopper deal: BJP most welcome to make revelations, says Sonia Gandhi
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples
- 50,000 security personnel to guard last phase of West Bengal Assembly Election 2016
- As Donald Trump becomes presumptive nominee, China urges objectivity