Twenty-nine child labourers rescued in Delhi
New Delhi: Twenty-nine child labourers were
rescued on Friday from three shoe-making factories in northwest
Delhi after a raid by the authorities.
All the children rescued were trafficked from Bihar,
Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan, NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan (BBA),
which facilitated the rescue, said in a press statement here.
It said police officials, the Sub Divisional Magistrate,
labour officers and a BBA team raided the factory premises in
Samaypur Badli. The three factories were sealed and two
employers arrested, according to the statement.
The children are in the age group of 8-16 years and have
been working for 12-16 hours a day. The main process they were
involved was of using liquid rubber adhesive to join the upper
part of the shoe.
Exposure to solvents may lead to respiratory problems,
the BBA said.
R S Chaurasia, Chairperson of BBA, said "It is
astonishing to see children working in organised sectors where
regular inspections are supposed to happen."
Ashish Mohan, SDM, Punjabi Bagh, said, "all the children
will be given release certificates under the Bonded Labour
Act. The release certificate entitles them to their
rehabilitation package of Rs 20,000, as well as availing of
government schemes like Indira Awas Yojana on a priority
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy