Two acquitted in rape and abduction case in Delhi
New Delhi: Two men, accused of abducting and raping a woman after forcibly marrying her in 1994, have been acquitted by a Delhi court which said the complainant had "voluntarily" married one of the accused as she was in love with him.
The court also acquitted three others, including a woman, of the charges of conspiracy and forcefully causing abortion of the complainant saying the prosecution has failed to prove any conspiracy among the accused for committing any offence.
"In view of the above, the prosecution has miserably failed to prove that the prosecutrix was kidnapped/abducted and compelled/forced into illicit intercourse or that the accused Vinod Kumar had sexual intercourse with her against her consent or that she was even intimidated/threatened to be killed or was blackmailed to be defamed.
"Thus, the prosecution has failed to prove charges under sections 366 (kidnapping or abducting a woman to compel her marriage), 376 (rape)/120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC and 506 (criminal intimidation)/34 (common intention) of the IPC against accused Vinod Kumar and Vinod Handa," Additional Sessions Judge Poonam A Bamba said.
According to the prosecution, the complainant had alleged that on the recommendation of accused Vinod Kumar she got married to accused Vinod Handa in June 1994 at Ambala in Haryana but later her husband "vanished" after leaving her in a room in Khan Market here.
She had said that Vinod Kumar came there and abused her and when she resisted, he, along with his sister Indra and her husband Suresh, threatened to kill her. Indra, Suresh and one Ashok Kumar were co-accused in the case.
She had also alleged that Vinod Kumar had told her that he had "purchased" her from Handa and thereafter she was locked in the room and was kept there for around two weeks during which she was blackmailed as the accused had taken her indecent photographs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30