Two AIR officials sacked for sexually harassing radio jockeys
New Delhi: Taking strong note of allegations of sexual harassment of women presenters in All India Radio, the Prasar Bharati has discontinued services of two employees, suspended another and given a show cause notice to the head of its Delhi Kendra.
Prasar Bharati`s action came after senior officials had perused material related to the allegations made by the presenters, represented by AIR Broadcasting Professionals Association (AIRBPA).
An order issued by Prasar Bharati`s Member Personnel Brig (retd) VAM Hussain with the approval of CEO Jawhar Sircar on Monday noted that the "issue is sensitive and has given a poor image of the Public Sector Broadcaster in National Press which is rather painful because we are maintained by the tax payers."
The order named two employees against whom there had been serious allegations and said they needed to be removed from their duties with immediate effect and also instructed that a ban be placed on them for any future assignment.
The order also placed under suspension an official who was in-charge of AIR FM and responsible for supervision, assignments and administration of the channel for not having acted effectively on the complaints.
Prasar Bharati also instructed that a show cause notice be issued to the head of its Delhi Kendra who had been informed of the lapses either orally or in person by the staff or by the presenters and the official appeared to have taken no effective action.
The order which was forwarded to AIR`s Director General DG Mandloi said necessary directions be given in writing for strict compliance of the guidelines related to safety and security of women employees, including casual assignees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Caitlyn Jenner, Lady Gaga to pay tribute to Orlando Victims
- Beach fresh in pastel, Priyanka Chopra exhibits simplicity in new magazine cover!
- Terrorists holed up inside building in J&K's Pulwama; 2 killed, encounter underway
- Mrinal Sen is 'absolutely fine'; family rubbishes death hoax
- Seven killed, 15 wounded in two separate road mishaps in Andhra's Prakasam