Two arrested for running cricket betting racket
New Delhi: A former MNC employee and a teenager were arrested in north Delhi for allegedly running a cricket betting racket during India and Pakistan one-day international.
Investigators on Monday claimed that the racket had collected bets for about Rs one crore for the match played at Ferozeshah Kotla stadium yesterday till the time they were caught.
Ashwani Kumar (40) and Akshay Chadha (18) were apprehended from a house in north Delhi`s Pratap Nagar on a tip off, Sindhu Pillai, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), said.
Eight mobile phones, an LCD TV and a laptop were recovered allegedly from them.
"The match summary report of total betting till the time of the raid was found around Rs one crore, she said.
Kumar, a graduate, was working in a multi-national company before he allegedly indulged in betting. "He likes to lead a lavish life and for this he started running the betting racket," she said.
Chadha, who studied upto Class IX, is unemployed and was looking for a job. He came in contact with Kumar and other bookies and got into cricket betting, Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Muslims not doing 'enough' to fight Islamic State: Jordan's Queen Rania