Two arrested for running cricket betting racket
New Delhi: A former MNC employee and a teenager were arrested in north Delhi for allegedly running a cricket betting racket during India and Pakistan one-day international.
Investigators on Monday claimed that the racket had collected bets for about Rs one crore for the match played at Ferozeshah Kotla stadium yesterday till the time they were caught.
Ashwani Kumar (40) and Akshay Chadha (18) were apprehended from a house in north Delhi`s Pratap Nagar on a tip off, Sindhu Pillai, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), said.
Eight mobile phones, an LCD TV and a laptop were recovered allegedly from them.
"The match summary report of total betting till the time of the raid was found around Rs one crore, she said.
Kumar, a graduate, was working in a multi-national company before he allegedly indulged in betting. "He likes to lead a lavish life and for this he started running the betting racket," she said.
Chadha, who studied upto Class IX, is unemployed and was looking for a job. He came in contact with Kumar and other bookies and got into cricket betting, Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security