Two arrested for running cricket betting racket
New Delhi: A former MNC employee and a teenager were arrested in north Delhi for allegedly running a cricket betting racket during India and Pakistan one-day international.
Investigators on Monday claimed that the racket had collected bets for about Rs one crore for the match played at Ferozeshah Kotla stadium yesterday till the time they were caught.
Ashwani Kumar (40) and Akshay Chadha (18) were apprehended from a house in north Delhi`s Pratap Nagar on a tip off, Sindhu Pillai, Deputy Commissioner of Police (North), said.
Eight mobile phones, an LCD TV and a laptop were recovered allegedly from them.
"The match summary report of total betting till the time of the raid was found around Rs one crore, she said.
Kumar, a graduate, was working in a multi-national company before he allegedly indulged in betting. "He likes to lead a lavish life and for this he started running the betting racket," she said.
Chadha, who studied upto Class IX, is unemployed and was looking for a job. He came in contact with Kumar and other bookies and got into cricket betting, Pillai said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town