Two conman arrested for posing as journalists, extorting money
New Delhi: Two men have been arrested for allegedly posing as journalists to extort money from people.
The arrested were identified as Ajit alias Manish (22) and Chand Singh alias Sagar (19), both residents of Meerut.
They had recently visited Kalyanpuri slum area and clicked some pictures.
When the residents of the area questioned, they stated that they were journalists, police said today.
On August 02, the duo again visited the slum. They entered a woman`s hutment and threatened to get it demolished if she did not pay them Rs 5000.
When she refused, they became furious and started abusing her and allegedly manhandled her and torn her clothes, police said.
The locals then apprehended both and informed the police.
"During interrogation, it was learnt that Ajit worked as a photographer in a newspaper of Meerut."
"To make easy money, he started posing as journalist and started extorting money in Meerut and Ghaziabad from innocent people by threatening them. They were caught when they tried to do the same in Delhi," police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account