Two conman arrested for posing as journalists, extorting money
New Delhi: Two men have been arrested for allegedly posing as journalists to extort money from people.
The arrested were identified as Ajit alias Manish (22) and Chand Singh alias Sagar (19), both residents of Meerut.
They had recently visited Kalyanpuri slum area and clicked some pictures.
When the residents of the area questioned, they stated that they were journalists, police said today.
On August 02, the duo again visited the slum. They entered a woman`s hutment and threatened to get it demolished if she did not pay them Rs 5000.
When she refused, they became furious and started abusing her and allegedly manhandled her and torn her clothes, police said.
The locals then apprehended both and informed the police.
"During interrogation, it was learnt that Ajit worked as a photographer in a newspaper of Meerut."
"To make easy money, he started posing as journalist and started extorting money in Meerut and Ghaziabad from innocent people by threatening them. They were caught when they tried to do the same in Delhi," police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`