Two held outside Jama Masjid selling fake gold biscuits
New Delhi: Two contractors were arrested from outside Jama Masjid in central Delhi for allegedly trying to sell fake gold biscuits, police said Thursday.
Vinod Kumar, 30, and Mohd Mustafa, 35, were apprehended last evening after they returned to the mosque to allegedly sell gold biscuits after one Mohd Ashu had already bought one.
"Policemen patrolling the area heard a man shouting for help and we overpowered them," Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Devesh Srivastava said.
Ashu told police that the duo approached him yesterday and persuaded him to buy gold biscuits.
The duo allegedly told him that they have ten gold biscuits and wanted to sell it. Ashu bought one for Rs 2,000 and assured them that he will also purchase the remaining gold biscuits after managing cash in evening.
However, Srivastava said, Ashu became suspicious and got verified the "gold" biscuit from a goldsmith and found that it was fake.
In the evening, Kumar and Mustafa approached Ashu who then demanded that his money be returned.
"He also shouted for help and both the accused tried to flee but were overpowered by police. Ten fake gold biscuits were recovered allegedly from them," Srivastava said.
Kumar and Mustafa told police that they are friends and used to work as construction contractors in Meerut.
"They met one Veerpal who lured them into supplying fake gold biscuits in Delhi. He promised them good money. They accepted the offer given by Veerpal to earn quick money," Srivastava said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'