Two held outside Jama Masjid selling fake gold biscuits
New Delhi: Two contractors were arrested from outside Jama Masjid in central Delhi for allegedly trying to sell fake gold biscuits, police said Thursday.
Vinod Kumar, 30, and Mohd Mustafa, 35, were apprehended last evening after they returned to the mosque to allegedly sell gold biscuits after one Mohd Ashu had already bought one.
"Policemen patrolling the area heard a man shouting for help and we overpowered them," Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Devesh Srivastava said.
Ashu told police that the duo approached him yesterday and persuaded him to buy gold biscuits.
The duo allegedly told him that they have ten gold biscuits and wanted to sell it. Ashu bought one for Rs 2,000 and assured them that he will also purchase the remaining gold biscuits after managing cash in evening.
However, Srivastava said, Ashu became suspicious and got verified the "gold" biscuit from a goldsmith and found that it was fake.
In the evening, Kumar and Mustafa approached Ashu who then demanded that his money be returned.
"He also shouted for help and both the accused tried to flee but were overpowered by police. Ten fake gold biscuits were recovered allegedly from them," Srivastava said.
Kumar and Mustafa told police that they are friends and used to work as construction contractors in Meerut.
"They met one Veerpal who lured them into supplying fake gold biscuits in Delhi. He promised them good money. They accepted the offer given by Veerpal to earn quick money," Srivastava said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test