Two held outside Jama Masjid selling fake gold biscuits
New Delhi: Two contractors were arrested from outside Jama Masjid in central Delhi for allegedly trying to sell fake gold biscuits, police said Thursday.
Vinod Kumar, 30, and Mohd Mustafa, 35, were apprehended last evening after they returned to the mosque to allegedly sell gold biscuits after one Mohd Ashu had already bought one.
"Policemen patrolling the area heard a man shouting for help and we overpowered them," Additional Commissioner of Police (Central) Devesh Srivastava said.
Ashu told police that the duo approached him yesterday and persuaded him to buy gold biscuits.
The duo allegedly told him that they have ten gold biscuits and wanted to sell it. Ashu bought one for Rs 2,000 and assured them that he will also purchase the remaining gold biscuits after managing cash in evening.
However, Srivastava said, Ashu became suspicious and got verified the "gold" biscuit from a goldsmith and found that it was fake.
In the evening, Kumar and Mustafa approached Ashu who then demanded that his money be returned.
"He also shouted for help and both the accused tried to flee but were overpowered by police. Ten fake gold biscuits were recovered allegedly from them," Srivastava said.
Kumar and Mustafa told police that they are friends and used to work as construction contractors in Meerut.
"They met one Veerpal who lured them into supplying fake gold biscuits in Delhi. He promised them good money. They accepted the offer given by Veerpal to earn quick money," Srivastava said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive