Two, including UK national, held by DRI for alleged smuggling
New Delhi: Two persons, including a British national, were arrested by Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) for their alleged involvement in an international syndicate involved in smuggling of high-value branded watches.
39-year-old Nigel Nicholas Bright, a UK national, was arrested from Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport yesterday with two watches, valued at over Rs 60 lakh, a DRI official said.
During interrogation, Bright told officials that he was to deliver these watches to Amit Kumar, manager of a leading watch seller in the city, the official said adding Kumar was later arrested and searches carried out at his residences and about a dozen watches and cash were recovered.
Both Bright and Kumar were produced before a court here today where the duo were granted bail. Bright, who is based in Hong Kong, could not fulfill the bail condition, following which the court sent him to judicial custody till October 23.
Kumar was, however, released on bail.
DRI officials said that following their arrest, searches were carried out at Kumar`s residence and the business premises of the Delhi-based watch store, which led to the recovery of Rs 1.5 crore cash and 12 high-value watches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Hillary Clinton makes history as first woman White House nominee
- Venezuela government seeks to ban opposition over recall 'fraud'
- WHO declares Brazil free of measles
- Lok Sabha passes child labour Bill despite opposition from children's rights activists
- India unlikely to get Kohinoor diamond back, hints UK minister