Two, including UK national, held by DRI for alleged smuggling
New Delhi: Two persons, including a British national, were arrested by Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) for their alleged involvement in an international syndicate involved in smuggling of high-value branded watches.
39-year-old Nigel Nicholas Bright, a UK national, was arrested from Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport yesterday with two watches, valued at over Rs 60 lakh, a DRI official said.
During interrogation, Bright told officials that he was to deliver these watches to Amit Kumar, manager of a leading watch seller in the city, the official said adding Kumar was later arrested and searches carried out at his residences and about a dozen watches and cash were recovered.
Both Bright and Kumar were produced before a court here today where the duo were granted bail. Bright, who is based in Hong Kong, could not fulfill the bail condition, following which the court sent him to judicial custody till October 23.
Kumar was, however, released on bail.
DRI officials said that following their arrest, searches were carried out at Kumar`s residence and the business premises of the Delhi-based watch store, which led to the recovery of Rs 1.5 crore cash and 12 high-value watches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption