Two men jailed for 10 years for gang-raping woman
New Delhi: Two men have been sent to jail for 10 years each by a Delhi court for gang-raping a 25-year-old woman.
The court awarded the jail term to Bihar natives, Bihari Mukhiya, 36, and Chaudhary Mukhiya, 34, for the offence of gang-rape and also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 each on them.
"I am of the considered opinion that the ends of justice can be met by sentencing convicts Bihari Mukhiya and Chaudhary Mukhiya to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years each... Under section 376(2)(g) (gang rape)?of the IPC," Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta said.
The woman had approached the police after the incident and had told the officials that she was brought to Delhi by her brother in May 2009 and she was employed as a maid in a house through a placement agency.
She said one Raju Mukhiya, who was absconding, used to work near her employer`s house and befriended her and expressed his desire to marry her.
On July 4, 2009, on the pretext of marrying her, Raju took her to Alipur here and after deboarding a bus, they started walking on foot through agricultural fields where they met the other two accused, Bihari and Chaudhary, police said.
She was kept in the fields in the night by the three men who raped her, it said, adding the next morning the trio dropped her at a metro station.
With the help of a woman, who was working with an NGO, the victim approached the police and after taking her statement, a case was lodged by Shahbad Dairy police against the three men.
Later on, Bihari and Chaudhary were arrested while Raju could not be nabbed and he was declared proclaimed offender.
The duo sought leniency, saying they are the sole bread earners of their families and have to support their wives and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu