Two men jailed for 10 years for gang-raping woman
New Delhi: Two men have been sent to jail for 10 years each by a Delhi court for gang-raping a 25-year-old woman.
The court awarded the jail term to Bihar natives, Bihari Mukhiya, 36, and Chaudhary Mukhiya, 34, for the offence of gang-rape and also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 each on them.
"I am of the considered opinion that the ends of justice can be met by sentencing convicts Bihari Mukhiya and Chaudhary Mukhiya to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years each... Under section 376(2)(g) (gang rape)?of the IPC," Additional Sessions Judge M C Gupta said.
The woman had approached the police after the incident and had told the officials that she was brought to Delhi by her brother in May 2009 and she was employed as a maid in a house through a placement agency.
She said one Raju Mukhiya, who was absconding, used to work near her employer`s house and befriended her and expressed his desire to marry her.
On July 4, 2009, on the pretext of marrying her, Raju took her to Alipur here and after deboarding a bus, they started walking on foot through agricultural fields where they met the other two accused, Bihari and Chaudhary, police said.
She was kept in the fields in the night by the three men who raped her, it said, adding the next morning the trio dropped her at a metro station.
With the help of a woman, who was working with an NGO, the victim approached the police and after taking her statement, a case was lodged by Shahbad Dairy police against the three men.
Later on, Bihari and Chaudhary were arrested while Raju could not be nabbed and he was declared proclaimed offender.
The duo sought leniency, saying they are the sole bread earners of their families and have to support their wives and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof