Two more held in Delhi ATM heist of Rs 5.5 cr
New Delhi: Two persons allegedly involved in the Defence Colony heist of Rs 5.5 crore in September were nabbed here, taking the number of arrests in the high-profile case to 14, police said on Sunday.
The arrested persons Ram Singh (30) and Ajay (32) had allegedly made cash transactions on behalf of absconding Yogesh, who is allegedly involved in the incident, Deputy Commissioner of Police (South) Chhaya Sharma said.
The duo are close friends of Yogesh and Rs 13.5 lakh and relevant documents were recovered allegedly from them.
The gang had waylaid the cash van on September 28, pinned down a security guard and shot him after he tried to snatch their weapons. They fled in the cash van leaving behind the car in which they were following the vehicle. The guard later succumbed to the bullet wound.
"We have so far recovered Rs 4.09 crore, a vehicle and some jewellery purchased out of robbed money," Sharma said.
The duo told police that they received around Rs 25 lakh from Yogesh for investment on his behalf in property. They were arrested on Friday.
"Yogesh has distributed his share of booty to his relations and friends before he escaped from Delhi and took shelter in small villages of Mainpuri district of Uttar Pradesh," she said.
"It has emerged that Yogesh might have delivered some cash - around Rs 50 lakh (not recovered so far) - to his friends before leaving Delhi without even giving description of the contents of bag to them. The cash may still be in their possession," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next