Two taxi drivers held for killing woman in Delhi
New Delhi: Two taxi drivers were arrested in south Delhi for murdering a 25-year-old woman when she resisted their sexual assault attempt after taking a lift in their vehicle last month, police said on Monday.
Sikander Singh, 28, and Pradeep Singh, 30, were arrested for strangling the woman and dumping her body near Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited tower in south Delhi`s commercial hub Nehru Place. The body was recovered April 24.
The accused attempted to sexually abuse the victim April 23 evening after she was dropped near south Delhi`s Defence colony area by her husband, police said.
"She had called her husband later to tell him that she was going with two men in a taxi," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ashok Chand.
"The probe revealed the name of the taxi owner as Pradeep, resident of Ropar in Punjab. A team was sent there but he was later trapped in south Delhi`s Moti Bagh along with Sikander," said the official.
They revealed that they had given a lift to the woman April 23 night in a taxi owned by Pradeep.
"On the way, they tried to sexually assault her. When she resisted and tried to make a noise they strangled her," said Chand.
Sikander was working as a taxi driver at Nehru Place for the past six years. Pradeep was also attached to a taxi stand in the same area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Discontinue pellet guns, says J&K HC citing Rajnath's statement
- MCA Managing Committee to discuss SC judgement on Sunday
- Mamata Banerjee pays homage to 'Mahanayak' Uttam Kumar
- Floods batter Assam, Arunachal; 3 die in Uttarakhand wall collapse
- Sushma Swaraj lashes out at Nawaz Sharif, says Pakistan will never succeed in making Kashmir a 'terror hell'