close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Uber rape case: Gadkari says not plausible to ban cab services

Commenting on the Delhi Government's step to ban US based taxi service Uber after one of its employees was accused for raping a 27-year old woman last Friday, Union Road and Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari said that it is not plausible to ban all such services when incidents of this nature take place.



New Delhi: Commenting on the Delhi Government's step to ban US based taxi service Uber after one of its employees was accused for raping a 27-year old woman last Friday, Union Road and Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari said that it is not plausible to ban all such services when incidents of this nature take place.

"It doesn't make sense to ban services. Tomorrow if something happens in a bus, we won't be able ban that. It is the system that needs to be changed," Gadkari said.

He further said that a new digitalized system will be designed where every driver's track record can be viewed.

"System of giving drivers license is faulty. Therefore, a new digitalized system will be designed where everyone's track record can be viewed. Banning railways, bus, planes causes inconvenience to people. If there are improvements needed in a system they should be looked at," he added.

Meanwhile, former IPS officer and social activist Kiran Bedi stressed on the need for a better system to deal with such issues.

"We need to do our daily home work. We need to put things out in public, so that the public participates. We need to have a board in which these things will be taken up. When politicians don't succeed, the country fails," she said.

"These are blame games where criminal are in benefit. We should constantly follow up with the policies. We need a better system; we need a track record and a history sheet. When Uber says that we have loopholes, they are right. There should be tight fortnightly review. There should always be an impact. There should be traffic board organization. There is coordination between the head of the department and the heads of the department," she added.

Furthermore, Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Majeed Memon said that

"What the transport minister has said is correct, but it is also important to make the companies more alert. The cases where there are no proper identification needs to be seen," said Memon.

"This is very unfortunate that even after so much chaos on Nirbhaya case women are not safe in Delhi. No proper arrangements for security have been made till now and administration needs to look into this," he added.

The Delhi Police lodged an FIR earlier against Uber for cheating customers on the pretext of providing safe commuting with duly verified driver.

The police will also reportedly continue questioning officials of the taxi service in Delhi.

Meanwhile, the Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) has summoned the local Chief Executive Officer of international taxi-booking service Uber, with DCW chairperson Barkha Shukla saying the commission will try its best to ensure the cab company is closed.

The Delhi government had on Monday banned Uber from functioning in the national capital even as the company issued a statement assuring its full co-operation to help the victim and her family in their recovery.

Reports say the Uber cab driver accused of raping the finance executive on Friday, had been convicted for a similar crime in 2011 and had spent over seven months in prison. However, he was later granted bail. 

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions