UGC withholds permission to upgrade IIMC journalis
New Delhi: The Information and Broadcasting Ministry`s plan to upgrade journalism diplomas offered at the Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) to Masters level has hit a roadblock, with the University Grants Commission (UGC) withholding its permission for the same.
The IIMC in New Delhi has now been asked to revise its proposal and submit it again to the UGC and the Human Resources Development Ministry.
The IIMC, which is the country`s premier journalism institute and its three regional centres in Aizawl, Dhenkenal and Amravati, currently offers Diploma courses in journalism and advertising.
In its Standing Finance Committee meeting held on July 15, 2010, the I&B Ministry had prioritised that it would seek equivalence to Masters Degree for the Post-Graduate Diploma Courses from the HRD Ministry.
Consequently, the Ministry took its proposal to the HRD Ministry but the UGC did not agree with the idea after observing that courses and syllabi that IIMC had proposed for its PG Diploma Programmes was not found to be of Masters level in its current form.
Last week while tabling a statement showing Action Taken notes on a Parliamentary Standing Committee`s observations on the I&B Ministry`s Demand for Grants (2011-12), the I&B Ministry said that a revised proposal was now being worked at.
"IIMC has been advised by the Ministry of HRD to resubmit the revised proposal after taking into consideration the observations of the UGC so that further necessary action could be taken by them," the I&B Ministry had said in its statement.
The I&B Ministry in its statement also said that the need for an act of Parliament for upgradation of IIMC to an Institution of National Importance was also being examined in the ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- IIMC Results 2016: IIMC entrance exam result 2016 (www.iimc.nic.in) to be declared today on June 24, 2016
- Feeling depressed? Go for a walk!
- Pak, Afghan to set up bilateral mechanism to address border issues
- 'Finding Dory' Box Office collections: Opens well in India, mints Rs 7.68 crore!
- Two killed in truck collision in UP