ULFA militant charged for threatening Cong MP
New Delhi: A suspected ULFA militant, arrested
for allegedly threatening a Congress MP in 2008 to extort
money from him to fund his banned outfit, was put on trial by
a Delhi court on Monday on various terror charges.
Additional Sessions Judge Narinder Kumar put Ranjan Bikas
Borgohain alias Raman Baruah on trial, by formally framing
charges against him for offences under the Unlawful Activities
Prevention Act, including those for being a member of an
outfit, banned under the anti-terror law and for raising fund
Ranjan had been arrested by the Special Cell of Delhi
Police in 2008 for allegedly trying to extort Rs 25 lakh from
Lok Sabha MP Anwar Hussain "by putting him in fear of death."
"During April, 2008, the accused being a member of United
Liberation Front of Asom, raised funds for this terrorist
organisation, by inviting Anwar Hussain, MP, Lok Sabha to
provide money, intending that the same should be used, or
having reasonable cause to suspect that the same might be used
for the purpose of terrorism by the terrorist organisation,"
the judge said, while framing the charges.
Ranjan pleaded not guilty and claimed trial.
Ranjan was nabbed in July 2008 by the Special Cell sleuths
from the residence of the Congress MP who had lodged the
complaint with the police after receiving the threat from him.
The alleged ULFA militant was found having the threatening
letters from one Hira Sarania, a self-styled commander of
ULFA`s 709 battalion, seeking financial help for the group.
While searching his luggage at a hotel here, the police
allegedly recovered two more letters, one addressed to a
senior government minister and another against a former
Samajwadi Party leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video