Unauthorised colonies issue: Delhi Lokayukta to launch probe
New Delhi: At a time when Delhi government is strongly pushing for regularisation of over 1,600 unauthorised colonies, home to around 60 lakh people, Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin has decided to launch a detailed probe into alleged irregularities in the process initiated for their regularisation.
The decision by the Lokayukta came after Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna last month asked him to file a final report on the politically sensitive matter for taking appropriate action.
The Lokayukta had earlier sent an interim report to Khanna and recommended issuance of an advisory to the Urban Development department of Delhi government finding it guilty of "en-masse" grant of provisional regularisation certificates to the unauthorised colonies without proper verification.
The Lokayukta will launch a full investigation into the matter. The investigation will also focus on the alleged nexus between land grabbers and politicians, sources said.
Last year, a committee, headed by the then Divisional Commissioner Vijay Dev, had found serious wrongdoings in the process of issuance of provisional regularisation certificates (PRCs) and recommended criminal proceedings against those involved in the irregularities.
The committee said certain non-existent colonies were issued PRCs.
As per norms, unauthorised colonies, which had come up prior to March 31, 2002, and which had 50 per cent built-up area as on February 8, 2007, were eligible for PRCs.
It had highlighted alleged nexus among land grabbers, real estate mafia and Resident Welfare Associations and certain elements in government departments concerned to procure PRCs by filing "bogus" documents.
In his interim report to the Lt Governor, Justice Sarin said PRCs were issued without any physical verification of the unauthorised colonies, some of which were "plain" fields. The government is in the process of providing basic infrastructure like roads, electricity and drainage in the colonies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof