Unauthorised colonies issue: Delhi Lokayukta to launch probe
New Delhi: At a time when Delhi government is strongly pushing for regularisation of over 1,600 unauthorised colonies, home to around 60 lakh people, Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin has decided to launch a detailed probe into alleged irregularities in the process initiated for their regularisation.
The decision by the Lokayukta came after Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna last month asked him to file a final report on the politically sensitive matter for taking appropriate action.
The Lokayukta had earlier sent an interim report to Khanna and recommended issuance of an advisory to the Urban Development department of Delhi government finding it guilty of "en-masse" grant of provisional regularisation certificates to the unauthorised colonies without proper verification.
The Lokayukta will launch a full investigation into the matter. The investigation will also focus on the alleged nexus between land grabbers and politicians, sources said.
Last year, a committee, headed by the then Divisional Commissioner Vijay Dev, had found serious wrongdoings in the process of issuance of provisional regularisation certificates (PRCs) and recommended criminal proceedings against those involved in the irregularities.
The committee said certain non-existent colonies were issued PRCs.
As per norms, unauthorised colonies, which had come up prior to March 31, 2002, and which had 50 per cent built-up area as on February 8, 2007, were eligible for PRCs.
It had highlighted alleged nexus among land grabbers, real estate mafia and Resident Welfare Associations and certain elements in government departments concerned to procure PRCs by filing "bogus" documents.
In his interim report to the Lt Governor, Justice Sarin said PRCs were issued without any physical verification of the unauthorised colonies, some of which were "plain" fields. The government is in the process of providing basic infrastructure like roads, electricity and drainage in the colonies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia