Undergraduate students at AIIMS call for strike
New Delhi: Undergraduate students at AIIMS on Monday called for an indefinite strike demanding immediate
resignation of the institute`s director following the alleged
suicide of a first-year MBBS student.
Nearly 400 MBBS students at AIIMS gheraoed RC Deka`s
office and demanded his resignation.
Anil Kumar Meena (22), who hailed from Baran district in
Rajasthan, was found hanging by his friends in his hostel room
yesterday morning. He was immediately taken to the hospital
where doctors declared him brought dead.
"We are demanding the resignation of the institute`s
director as he has not been able to answer the grievances of
the students well. If Anil`s problem could have been answered
on time, this suicide would not have happened. We will not
call off the strike till our demands are met," said a student,
who took part in the strike.
Meanwhile, AIIMS authorities have given an ex-gratia to
the tune of Rs 3 lakh to the deceased`s family, an AIIMS
"We the director, faculty and the staff of the institute
deeply regret the tragic death of our student, Anil Meena.
Anil Meena was a hard working student. The AIIMS family is
shocked and deeply mourns the loss of valuable life of a
promising young medico," a official statement from the AIIMS
"... a news item in a section of the media has quoted the
AIIMS spokesperson as saying that Anil Meena had mental or
psychiatric illness. This report is unfounded and incorrect,"
the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed