Undergraduate students at AIIMS call for strike
New Delhi: Undergraduate students at AIIMS on Monday called for an indefinite strike demanding immediate
resignation of the institute`s director following the alleged
suicide of a first-year MBBS student.
Nearly 400 MBBS students at AIIMS gheraoed RC Deka`s
office and demanded his resignation.
Anil Kumar Meena (22), who hailed from Baran district in
Rajasthan, was found hanging by his friends in his hostel room
yesterday morning. He was immediately taken to the hospital
where doctors declared him brought dead.
"We are demanding the resignation of the institute`s
director as he has not been able to answer the grievances of
the students well. If Anil`s problem could have been answered
on time, this suicide would not have happened. We will not
call off the strike till our demands are met," said a student,
who took part in the strike.
Meanwhile, AIIMS authorities have given an ex-gratia to
the tune of Rs 3 lakh to the deceased`s family, an AIIMS
"We the director, faculty and the staff of the institute
deeply regret the tragic death of our student, Anil Meena.
Anil Meena was a hard working student. The AIIMS family is
shocked and deeply mourns the loss of valuable life of a
promising young medico," a official statement from the AIIMS
"... a news item in a section of the media has quoted the
AIIMS spokesperson as saying that Anil Meena had mental or
psychiatric illness. This report is unfounded and incorrect,"
the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day