Undergraduate students at AIIMS call for strike
New Delhi: Undergraduate students at AIIMS on Monday called for an indefinite strike demanding immediate
resignation of the institute`s director following the alleged
suicide of a first-year MBBS student.
Nearly 400 MBBS students at AIIMS gheraoed RC Deka`s
office and demanded his resignation.
Anil Kumar Meena (22), who hailed from Baran district in
Rajasthan, was found hanging by his friends in his hostel room
yesterday morning. He was immediately taken to the hospital
where doctors declared him brought dead.
"We are demanding the resignation of the institute`s
director as he has not been able to answer the grievances of
the students well. If Anil`s problem could have been answered
on time, this suicide would not have happened. We will not
call off the strike till our demands are met," said a student,
who took part in the strike.
Meanwhile, AIIMS authorities have given an ex-gratia to
the tune of Rs 3 lakh to the deceased`s family, an AIIMS
"We the director, faculty and the staff of the institute
deeply regret the tragic death of our student, Anil Meena.
Anil Meena was a hard working student. The AIIMS family is
shocked and deeply mourns the loss of valuable life of a
promising young medico," a official statement from the AIIMS
"... a news item in a section of the media has quoted the
AIIMS spokesperson as saying that Anil Meena had mental or
psychiatric illness. This report is unfounded and incorrect,"
the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'