Unidentified assailant shoots a Delhi Police constable dead
New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable was on Monday shot dead allegedly by an unidentified man near his residence in Shahadara area of Northeast Delhi here, police said.
The victim, identified as 43-year-old Shivraj Singh, was posted at nearby Jaffrabad Police Station and lived in Jyoti Nagar.
Incidentally, the attack on him took place close to his residence. He was on duty when the incident took place, they said.
The incident took place at Durgapuri Chowk in the area when Singh was following a criminal. Suddenly the criminal pumped a bullet in his chest and fled the spot.
Someone made a PCR call about the incident at 12:17 PM following which police teams from Jyoti Nagar police station as well as Shahadara police station were rushed to the spot.
As Jyoti Nagar Police Station was closer to the spot, its team reached the spot first and rushed the constable to Guru Teg Bahadur hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead.
"He was shot from a very close range when he was following a criminal. We have registered a case at Shahadara Police Station and investigations are on. Efforts are on to identify the assailant and nab him," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (North East) RA Sanjeev.
Police is checking the cases on which Singh was working to zero in on the assailant. CCTV footage of the area is also being checked in this connection. Local criminals and history sheeters of the area have been rounded up and were being questioned. Singh is survived by his wife and a son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea