Unidentified man jumps before metro train, dies
New Delhi: An elderly man committed suicide by jumping before a metro train here Thursday evening, police said.
According to police, the unidentified man, seeming to be aged around 70 years, jumped onto the tracks at West Delhi`s Janakpuri West metro station as the train was drawing in.
No suicide note or identification papers or cards were recovered from his possession, police said.
"The man was taken to a nearby hospital, where doctors declared him dead," police added.
According to Metro officials, the incident took place around 5 pm as the train heading to Rajiv Chowk metro station from Dwarka was entering the station.
The suicide has been caught on the CCTV cameras placed inside the station.
"There was a few minutes` delay in the metro train service due to the incident," a metro official told a news agency.
In an effort to prevent suicide attempts at the elevated Metro stations, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has raised the height of platform railings. About 90 metro station in the city are elevated.
The Delhi Metro normally makes over 2,700 trips a day, covering about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on week days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks