UPA govt commuted death sentence to lifer in some cases of heinous crimes: BJP
New Delhi: Countering the Prime Minister`s charge that Narendra Modi is not following his "rajdharma", BJP on Friday alleged the Manmohan Singh government has failed on this front by "doing the unthinkable" in commuting death sentences to life terms in some cases of heinous crimes.
Former BJP President M Venkaiah Naidu asked Prime Minister Singh to introspect, before advising others on following rajdharma (the duty of a ruler).
He alleged UPA government has failed to perform its duty and keeping its word, be it controlling price rise within 100 days of coming to power, checking corruption or bringing back Indian black money stashed abroad.
However, it was the issue of the Congress-led government turning death sentences into life terms even in some cases of heinous crime that BJP used to make a scathing attack on Singh.
Even as Congress is targeting Modi on the issue of illegal surveillance of a woman which was done allegedly at his behest, BJP said while the ruling party is making baseless allegations it has itself done the "unthinkable".
"You (PM) have tried to overturn the judgments of the Supreme Court which gave death sentences to five persons in four cases of rape and murder involving three minor girls and beheading of one boy by commuting their sentences to life imprisonment," Naidu said.
The BJP leader maintained that in all these cases, the heinous nature of the offences has been ignored and the principle that the power of pardon can only be exercised in the rarest of rare cases has also been ignored.
"Will you and Congress party explain this to the people as to how and why it acted in this shameless manner?" he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing